To all concerned parents and citizens of our community,
Our legislature is in the process of deciding who represents our children on the DeKalb County School Board for the next 10 years.
There is much confusion over who is going to represent our neighborhood and area. Over the past year we have gone through school redistricting and I am advocating for the attached map because it is the ONLY map that has been drawn with the High School attendance lines as boundaries for the school board.
I would like your support in making this recently revised map the choice for our children for the next 10 years!
Here are the bullet points for this map.
- 60% of ALL High Schools are in ONE board district (and therefore have one dedicated board rep). 11 / 18 High Schools.
- 94% of ALL High Schools are in either 1 or 2 board districts. 17 / 18.
- Only 1 High School, centrally located Stone Mountain, is in 3 districts.
- District 2 & 4 will have School Board elections this fall, 2012.
- Districts 1,3,5,6,7 will have elections in 2014 for the incumbent board members.
- This map Complies with the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
The House and Senate are in recess today, Monday and Tuesday. Your email support this weekend is greatly appreciated. I do not see much support for this map in the house except by a few members and feel the most effective emails will be to our Senators.
The Senate committee approved a map drawn by Sen. Emmanuel Jones yesterday that splits Lakeside into 2 board districts. I feel that if we email the Senators and let them know our feelings about keeping the board districts aligned with the schools we will be able to get a consensus.
Please email the following Senators if you agree with the proposed map.
Sen. Jason Carter (D) District 42 PH: 404 463-1376 (office)
Sen. Emanuel Jones (D) District 10 PH: 404 656-0502 (office)
Sen. Fran Millar (R) District 40 PH: 404 463-2260 (office)
Sen. Curt Thompson (D) District 5 PH: 404 463-1318 (office)
Sen. Steve Henson (D) District 41 PH: 404 656-0085 (office)
Sen. Gloria Butler (D) District 55 PH: 404 656-0075 (office)
Sen. Ron Ramsey, Sr. (D) District 43 PH: 404 463-2598 (office)
Although, he should recuse himself from any votes regarding his EMPLOYER, DCSS!