Tune in to PDS Comcast 24 on your television at home, stream the meeting live on your computer by clicking here, or attend the meeting live and in person at the Board Auditorium in the DeKalb County School System Administrative & Instructional Complex, 1701 Mountain Industrial Boulevard, Stone Mountain, GA 30083. Then leave comments in the comment section of this blog post.
6:20 There is a very loud buzz in the audio tonight. We can hardly hear a word anyone says. I think they just gave an award to the counselor at Cedar Grove MS. I also think Tom Bowen just declared some day “Reading Day” of some kind. REALLY can’t hear through the buzz. Are they aware of the issue?
- A mom is asking the county to fully fund athletics (I think).
- A parent from Briarlake is very much against the cell towers and says there is new evidence from World Health that they are dangerous. nobriarlaketower.org – She says they will not give up and go away. (Wonder if she voted for Paul Womack, he’s her rep and he’s the one who brought the cell towers to the schools.)
- A high school kid is talking about why he loves his school (didn’t hear the name of the school due to the buzzing.)
- Parent tells us about the great things going on at Druid Hills HS.
- Another NoBriarlakeCellTower parent. There isn’t even space for the tower.
- A third NoBriarlakeCellTower parent. Says national news orgs are now interested. Says he got a letter from the board stating that they voted for the towers after much discussion. Called that a lie.
- Parent tries to educate the board as to the fact that good school systems hire the best teachers and pay them well, however DeKalb’s teachers have not had a raise in years, and have lost income due to furloughs and lost benefits as well as retirement contributions. MIT has determined that US schools do not pay enough to attract high quality teachers. Teachers support Dr A in her efforts. (This guy should run against David Schutten for head of ODE.
- Parent tells us about the great things at Tucker HS and their principal, Jackson. She then bullet-points the programs at Tucker and asks the board to support.
- Grandparent gives a glowing report on Destiny Academy and its leader, Clarence Callaway. (Can’t hear her, as the buzzing makes me feel like I’m watching the landing of Apollo 13)
- Another parent bragging about Destiny.
- A third parent bragging about Destiny – saved their kid. Grateful. (Not sure why the parade of support all of a sudden – is this school in some kind of jeopardy? It’s a charter school.)
- McNair HS student. Found her class on DOLA to be helpful. She said you have to be focused to pass the online classes but teachers will help if you call them.
- Parent who loves her child’s ES, Rock Chapel and principal, Muhammed. Gave details about the reading and other programs, and says they have great parent participation.
- Parent who loves Lithonia MS since her 7th grade son loves it and the teachers offer morning tutorials. Lots of clubs and activities. A surprise to her, as she didn’t want to use the ‘neighborhood’ school. Teachers love the kids. Great parent participation.
- Lisa Morgan announced the winners of the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl: ES – Montgomery, MS – Henderson, HS – Chamblee Charter — Huge hit coming for classified employees health care benefit. ($$$) Some educators are now only paid at state salary step (since DCSS has not given step increases in several years)
- Willie Pringle – Having an issue with his daughter due to the principal at Chapel Hill. Then recently a gun went off at Chapel Hill MS. Nothing was done. Children are suffering (he’s pretty irate.) Admonished Jay Cunningham for not contacting anyone after a child was killed. “Pray to God that you all come together in unity.” Asked for a meeting with Dr. Atkinson.
++++ BREAK ++++
Think they’ll fix the audio?
We are currently seeking a volunteer or two to cover these meetings. You can do so from the privacy of your living room! In the meantime, everyone, please cover the events of this meeting in your conversation in the comments.
The rest of the agenda follows:
F. COMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Budget, Audit, Finance & Facilities Committee
2. Business, Community & Government Relations Committee
3. Instruction Committee
4. Policy Committee
G. ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA
H. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
I. ACTION ITEMS
1. Approval of Minutes
3. Human Resources Monthly Board Report for February 2012
4. Science Equipment and Supplies – Bid 12-136 Catalog Discount
5. Language Translation and Interpretation Services
6. District Accreditation and AdvancED SACS CASI Quality Assurance Review Team Visit
7. Purchase of Advance Placement (AP) Exams for the May 2012 Administration
8. Atlanta Hawks’ Donation to DeKalb Alternative School’s Media Center
9. GADOE Charter Contract for DeKalb Preparatory Academy
10. SPLOST II Budget Reallocation (419)
11. Capital Improvement Plan Budget Reallocation (421)
12. Hawthorne Elementary School ADA Modification Contract Award Approval
13. Chapel Hill Middle School Ceiling Tile Replacement and Driveway Repair Contract Award Approval
14. Stone Mountain High School HVAC, Ceiling, Lighting Renovation & Roof Replacement A/E Amendment No. 3 Approval
15. Lakeside High School Tree Clearing Additional Donation Approval
16. Approval of Pre-Qualified Professional Service Firms for the DeKalb County School District’s Capital Improvement Plan
17. Plant Services Materials and Supplies Purchases for Schools – Paper Products
18. Tobacco Grant Extension
19. Approval of Search Firms ~ Chief Financial Officer
J. OTHER\BOARD COMMENTS (2 minutes each)