The AJC is reporting that a specially convened panel of educators from around the country reviewed the performance of the DeKalb County School District. On Wednesday the panel announced that it found some improvement, but not enough to get the system out of accreditation limbo.

Read more here:

Panel finds some improvement in DeKalb schools, but not enough

Ty Tagami reports that basically:

The panel was assembled by AdvanceED, the parent company of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the regional accreditation agency. The panel’s recommendation is not binding until AdvanceEd ratifies it, which is expected in coming weeks.

The panelists interviewed 1,132 students, parents, teachers and others at 26 schools. They assembled and reviewed data and then debated until nearly midnight Tuesday before deciding DeKalb should maintain its “accredited on advisement” status, lead evaluator Judy Forbes said Wednesday.

“This means that they are accredited,” Forbes said.

But not fully.

Gallery | This entry was posted in SACS/Accreditation and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to AdvanceED: DeKalb Schools have not yet improved enough to earn full accreditation

1. Anonymous says:

THE OF A PRINCIPAL AT RAINBOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Atkins,

Our community and school need you in a hurry! Explain to the community of Rainbow, why did Rainbow Elementary went from be a positive school to a negative school. We the parents believe it started downhills when the current principal came on aboard. We tried to give her a chance but she is not the one for our children , better yet she is not the one for no ones children.

Rainbow was a high ranking school with making AYP for years and a school of excellent, but now it has went downhills since she came. The school has not be successful under her leadership. I guess that’s what happen when you have someone in leadership without the capability and no brain.mmmmmmmmmmmmm

The principal is very rude and disrespectul to us (the parents) and her staff. So send us someone next year who can work with the community and get our school back to the top rank position we are use to not all this fake stuff that is going on now.

The prinicipal have stated to our children that Rainbow is a uniform school,but we the parents know that children are not required to wear uniforms. The prinicipal is trying to mandate this policy and calling our house stating they should be in uniforms. How about forget the uniforms and if she can learn how to do her job maybe just maybe we can make AYP in the near future….mmmmmmmmm I doubt it if she is still in position for next year…..

Parents our meeting is going to be in the same spot so we can petition her from our school and community because we need someone who is instructional sound and have the qualities of a leader.

Dr. Atkins check it out and ask the people and staff in the community how they feel about the principal.

2. Anonymous says:

I agree with you …….I’m so glad my children will be leaving Rainbow after this year. I think I rather have the previous principal at least I know she was funny and kind to me and my children whenever I came to the school to visit . I don’t get that from the current principal!!!

3. Anonymous says:

I agree with also

4. Anonymous says:

I can not believe that someone else has come forth to expose the tomfoolery that is going over here at Rainbow Elementary School regarding the principal and the counselor. Nothing is being done over there; the children are going astray and doing any and everything they desire. Whenever you go in to have a conference with either of them, there is always some sort of excuse from them.

The other day I observed for over an hour the principal being shut up in her office with the blinds drawn tight and the door closed, when she did emerge from her office, she had on NO SHOES and eating a bag of chips. What sort of foolishness is this? I am not sure as to how she came about becoming the principal over at Rainbow, but this appointment should be under great review for dismissal and consideration at this point and time, because Rainbow is definitely not up to the standards that they once were. The previous administrations had the support of the staff as well as the community, but the present principal does not share that at all. She try’s to hand pick people from the community that she can manipulate into doing the things that she desire, but it normally blows up in her face. Please note that her focus is not the students, their education nor their well-being, it is putting on a show for all to see when they are there in the building.

I have also noticed that students stroll in all times of the day and they are sent directly to their classrooms. What are the principal and the school counselor doing about this? Never have I seen such go on in a school. Doesn’t attendance play a major part in a school’s Annual Yearly Progress? Let’s see what happens with this for Rainbow.

You ask how I know these things. I am in and out of the school all day long, and I do this because I want to see what is really going on there at Rainbow. Most of the time, the counselor is shut up in her office doing nothing. What ever happened to the small groups that the children were suppose to be a part of? Out of the entire year, I can say that they probably met only 2 to 3 times, then she was making an announcement that it was over. How could something be over that really never got started? She has done most of the children/students a disservice, because she has not assisted them with their needs at all.

Parents are organizing to come with full force to have all of these things corrected at Rainbow. We have worked to hard as a community to establish a name for ourselves to have a little tyrant to come in and destroy what someone else has established. Never understood why she doesn’t put forth as much effort into adding and continuing to build the school and the community as she does in trying to decorate and put on a show for people to talk about. Get FOCUSED on the students and their education and not furniture and appearances.

Dr. Atkinson, Board Members and Community Members, it is time that we stand up, unite in unity and make something happen to bring about change here at Rainbow Elementary. Remember, they (principal and counselor) THEY MUST GO! THEY MUST GO! WE HAVE TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY MUST GO!

5. Anonymous says:

When and where is the next meeting? I would love to attend. This is the kind of unprofessionalism that is protrayed all over this county.

6. Maureen Downey has a post on the subject at her AJC “Get Schooled” blog — Read it here:

Get Schooled
    DeKalb County schools: Never a dull moment

7. Anonymous says:

The meeting last night at the Porter Center it was meaningful and informative. I’m ready to take a stand for my community and school…. I can wait until the next meeting

8. Anonymous says:

I agree with all the comments made…..I agree the principal has got to go! As a parent that is involved in my children education I believe every word that was stated because I witness every statement made!!!

9. justwatch says:

What was the meeting at Porter?

10. Anonymous says:

I agree….Ive requested at least three meeting with the principal and never got a response…my child has struggled the whole time being there.

11. Anonymous says:

awesome meeting

12. We’re not up to speed on the meeting you are talking about. Assuming you mean at the Sanford Porter Center for the Arts in south DeKalb. Did the community hold a meeting? Were board members present? If you’d like to submit a report, send it to us at dekalbschoolwatch@gmail.com and we’ll post. Otherwise, feel free to simply enlighten us in the comments. Thanks!

13. Sad says:

It is not just Rainbow. No one has been managing the elementary principals for the last few years. There are a few that need to find a better fit. And no matter how hard parents seem to complain the Regional Superintendents prefer to stick with what they have in place.

14. Anonymous says:

Just a little something that I found in the AJC post from a link listed above from Maureen Downey: DeKalb: Never A Dull Moment: …. ENJOY THE READ

Rainbow Elementary Parent

March 9th, 2012
    11:55 pm
    The panel that was used to conducte the Advance ED reviews consisted of 1,132 students, parents, teachers and others at 26 schools. Well the principal of Rainbow Elementary was one of those panelist and to this day and time, I am still unsure as to how and why she was chosen. Tell me how you are able to give advice on such a critical issue and you aren’t able to handle any of the issues that are going on in your school building? She is not competent at anything she does that pertains to instructing the students that she has charge over nor leading the faculty and staff there at Rainbow. If this is the type of persons they are chosing to be a part of this panel, no wonder DeKalb still has this negative stigmatism regarding their leaders. Take a look and to where Rainbow Elementary once stood as a whole and where it is today she that particular principal took the helm of that school.

LinkReport this comment.Dekalbite

March 10th, 2012
    9:19 am
    Rainbow has always been a wonderful school with good discipline and achievement and wonderful students.

LinkReport this comment.Rainbow Elementary Parent

March 10th, 2012
    12:30 pm
    Key statement, Rainbow Elementary once was an outstanding school. They were a School of Excellence for several years and constantly making AYP. But since the present principal has taken over, Rainbow has failed to make AYP and from the looks of if regarding this school year, they will not make AYP again. Discipline has gone out of the window, students constantly come to school late with no intervention regarding their tardiness and most of the parents are dissatisfied with the leadership of the principal. One reason we are not satisfied is because there is no leadership going on from the principal, most of the issues and concerns that we have, we are ALWAYS directed to see the Assistant Principal for any and all problems there at the school. But I thought that the principal was the leader and the assistant was to assist when necessary and not at ALL times.

15. Anonymous says:

LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN THE AJC: GET SCHOOLED SECTION

Rainbow Elementary Parent

March 9th, 2012
    11:55 pm

.Dekalbite

March 10th, 2012
    9:19 am

Rainbow Elementary Parent

March 10th, 2012
    12:30 pm

16. Anonymous says:

Ratchett….that is all. This a complete mess. The past few months I have been apart of Rainbow Elementary to at least try to help boost things. But it got RE nowhere and its disgusting. These kids cant afford to go to school for the fun of it. They need an education and an oppurtunity. Very UNprofessional……….the principal that is.

17. Anonymous says:

Sad says:
    You are correct some of those elementary principals that Dekalb have for this school year should really be reconsidered. They are not looking out for our children. Many of them have no respect for us. I had a meeting with my child’s elementary principal and she spoke to me as though I was incompetent. I had never been so insulted by someone who have been given the title by Dekalb County upper administrators and BOE as a principal. It is sad!

18. Mercy Reaid says:

And where did these ladies get their doctoral degrees?

19. Anonymous says:

That is one of the questions that I asked as well. They must have paid someone to type up their dissertations just as many others have in DeKalb County School District. Sarasota is where many of them got their doctoral degrees. Check the facts on the entire system and see for yourself. Hilarious!!!!!!!!

20. Anonymous says:

It was a private meeting but when we are ready for the public to know everything we will inform you. There wasn’t any board member present. We wanted to gather all information from everyone so we can be able to present it to the district in full force.

21. Sharon Wisw says:

I was a parent when Rainbow’s present principal was assistant principal at my child’s school over 8 years ago and she has NOT changed and will NOT change! Dr. Atkinson, please keep her at Rainbow! If not, send her home. She should not go to another school. I am no psychiatrist, but I am a parent, the woman is bipolar. She is jealous of her staff, assistant principals, teachers, custodians, you name it. She wants all of the staff to worship and be in her face. She does not want any of her staff to smile or communicate with her assistants. Now, you tell me, if a principal is busy being concerned with how staff relate to her adminisrators when will she have time to focus on instruction, AYP or the students for that matter. And, when she is not being jealous and paranoid, she is decorating. Who wants a beautifully decorated building that does NOT make AYP! Ridiculous. It is time for the new regime to care about our students’ future and STOP keeping these noncaring, nonproductive, nonPRINCIPALS in these positions.

22. Jerry Mormantel says:

If you think there is tomfoolery at Rainbow…. Thank God that Rainbow’s principal is not still at Chapel Hill Elementary. That was a TRAIN WRECK when she was with the current principal at Chapel Hill. They both were out of touch with the realities of educating our children. There are streets named after Williamson and Benson: ONE WAY! Benson and Williamson cares about two people: Benson and Williamson, respectively! Neither one knew how to be administrators. Neither one cared about the students’ welfare. They are both sad examples of DeKalb County KEEPING principals in positions where the principals are paid salaries while our students pay the unfortunate price of not being educated. Students who have parents who are active and focused on their childrens’ educational achievements are going to get their education regardless of who is in the position of principal, but what about students whose parents are not as enthused about education. Isn’t that the reason we send our children to school, so that they are educated by professionals or at least Principals who care about our students’ welfare. In my opinion, keeping principals like Williamson and Benson in their positions does just as much harm as the premise of the slavery era — when it was against the law for African Americans to learn to read! And, no I don’t believe that comment is extreme! Because Atkinson or any Asst. Superintendents, or Board Members would NOT send their own children to schools with these nonperforming, noncaring, facsimile principals!

23. Mercy Reaid says:

It is always amazing when mediocre teachers and staff are appointed to leadership positions. It is ‘who you know’ not what you know. I’m sure there are numerous examples.
    I am afraid that principals and assistance principals sitting behind closed, locked doors, for hours at a time, are far too common. I have seen this many times.

24. Anonymous says:

Sharon, I applaud you in your honesty, care and concern regarding the present principal there at Rainbow, because you “HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.” This zebra has not changed their stripes, because the same things are happening now. I oftened wondered if this behavior was just happening and Rainbow, but I see that it has happened at most of the schools that she served at. If Dr. Atkinson, the Board Members and the Regional Superintendents don’t see what’s happening and adhere to what the parents, community and people are saying concerning this incompetency here at Rainbow, all will be lost.

How much more needs to happen before they take a stand and have this situation resolved? Children are suffering and what are they doing about it? At this point, I can say NOTHING, but I hope that they finally realize that not everyone is lying about what is going on with this IMCOMPETENT, UNPROFESSIONAL principal. Oh and please don’t forget about the counselor, she is rowing along in the same boat with her. It has been reported to the Regional Superintendent time and time again, but she hasn’t done anything to help the destruction that is going on. We feel as if she is condoning the all of the ignorance of the principal and the counselor. They all should be held accountable for their actions and not serving the children.

MAKE A STAND AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE SAKE OF THE STUDENTS AND THE STAFF THERE AT RAINBOW.

25. Concerned Rainbow Parent~Bella says:

Can I say she is doing the same thing to her faculty and staff at Rainbow now. The behaviors and traits continue. The assistant principal there now is a very loving, caring and hard-working person. I’ve never seen her complain about anything she has to do or task that is placed before her. She puts on her HUGE smile and pleasant personality and gets the job done. But whenever a staff member, parents,or students says anything to compliment her, rewards her or what have you, the principal sticks out her fangs and spews her poisonous venom on everyone involved.

As for wanting her staff and others to worship the ground she walks on, this statement is true as well. If you are not a part of her clique, you can forget it. You will have something to pay if you don’t fall for all of that foolishness she deals with. This is one of the reasons that the counselor, the Title 1 Instructional Coach, Title 1 Math teacher and the Interrelated teachers get away with doing nothing to service the children, it’s because they fall at her feet, worship and honor her. Everyone else reaps the wrath of the unlearned, noncompassionate, and incompete principal.

Communication with her is non-existent. She has done all within her power to keep cetain people from talking or even speaking during the day. Listen to this one here, she has even posted that the staff is not to communicate with her two secretaries. What the heck? Aren’t secretaries suppose to help keep the communication lines open between everyone? I have never heard of such in my life. I’ve witnessed the staff sneaking in to just say “HELLO!” I asked them why they were sneaking and they stated that they were told to not communicate with them until after 3:00 or 4:00 when they are finished doing what she has commanded for them that day. Are we still in slavery time or have we moved to being free? Something has to be done about this if this is truly going on or if this type of statement has been made. But they say that they have it in writing. We will wait and see what happens.

When she is challenged by any of her faculty, staff or parents, she immediately runs to her area superintendent to fight the war she started and try to have them removed. Yes, she has had two staff members removed from the school thus far this year. Why are they looking at the staff and not the principal, especially when everyone is speaking and saying the same things are continually happening to them. Everyone can’t be making this up.

Come over to Rainbow at any given day or time, you will see who is doing the bulk of the work there, the assistant principal, NOT the so-called principal. I’ve seen and experienced the assistant principal handling discipline, instruction, textbooks, grades, schedules, observations, doing cafeteria duty, meeting with teachers, parents, etc… you name it, she does it. But the high and mighty principal, counselor and the Title 1 instructional coach are closed up in their offices laughing, gossiping and eating 99% of the time. Where is the balance of the administrative duties. There is none, the assistant principal is doing all of the work that is truly getting done there at Rainbow. Let’s face the fact, this principal must be removed and replaced with someone this will be concerned with the well-being of the students and them be prepared for what is to come in their future.

Let’s see how long Dr. Atkinson, the Board Members and the Area Superintendent allows this to continue to happen

26. Anonymous says:

Maybe we need to insist to the board and Dr. Atkinson…that we need new administrators(possibly) from other areas or other states to assist with the professionalism. I believe they are afraid of NEW LEADERSHIP because that =to PROFESSIONLISM. I have been told that the county is not interested in new administration. Well, from experience ‘if you do the same thing….you will get the same result. WE NEED TO DEMAND CHANGE FOR OUR STUDENTS AND KIDS OF THIS COUNTY.

27. Anonymous says:

The more I read this VERY RESPECTFUL BLOG…the more I am afraid for our students in this county. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP. Thank you school watch for keeping us informed and on point to place pressure on the new superintedent to make changes for the betterment of our STUDENTS.

28. Anonymous says:

I feel that it’s time for the community, parents, students and staff members take a stand against all of this discord that the principal and the counselor are spreading. How long are you welling to just sit back and allow this to happen to the students, community and to yourselves. If I had never stood for anything else in my life, I would take a stand today against those two women. STAND UP FOR RIGHT, JOIN IN THE FIGHT. BE A SOLDIER FOR THE STUDENTS AND YOU!

29. BeTruthful&Honest says:

Just where did the principal of Rainbow come from? I hope that she has not been allowed to go from one school to another in DeKalb exhibiting the same types of problems with leadership and instruction. DeKalb Schools need to get a grip on all principals that are doing these things. How many other schools are having these types of problems going on and willing to admit there are problems? Raise Your Hand Now!

30. Anonymous says:

Idlewood Elementary raise your hand with all that CHAOS going on! No learning taking place and people hiding out in different corners of the classroom. Our parents are taken for granted! It is ridiculous how the learning environment has changed. I have a daughter attending Idlewood and it’s so much of a difference since my other two daughters attended Idlewood. I cannot wait until her final year which is this May 2012! My last child will be leaving the school.!!! Thank Goodness I will not have to deal with the Idlewood Chaos. Will someone please look out for the children???!!! Our children deserve better than this Idlewood Chaos!

31. dekalbdoyenne says:

Actually, that was Albert Einstein’s definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

For two years the DeKalb School Watch Blog has been exposing wrongdoing among DeKalb County Schools “sit-up-here” administrators and Board of Education members.

When there was an opportunity to vote in experience and intelligence, District 1 voters did just that. Meanwhile, much of the rest of DeKalb continues to vote in the same-old, same-old and seems remarkably unconcerned about vacant/vandalized school buildings, plummeting student achievement, rising number of schools not making AYP (adequate yearly progress), and the overall negative effect on their home values.

32. Anonymous says:

I have noticed and other parents are saying the same thing that these principals are to GREAT to assist with THE DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS OF THE SCHOOLS! Their eyes are blind to the outside problems especially outside their little four walled offices!!! They want to come dressed as though they are meeting with a BOE member or Dr. Atkinson (dressed to impress these adults). Why don’t they try to impress our children with a better education???? Dress up and help out in our schools so that the children will be coming to a safe environment EVERYDAY not just the beginning of the school year!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, respect the PARENTS, CHILDREN, STAFF, and our teachers!! OUR SCHOOLS ARE A FILTHY MESS! WE NEED BETTER CLEAN AND ORDERLY SCHOOLS! Are there anyone reading this BLOG and listening to the many problems in the DEKALB!!

33. Rainbow Parents says:

Wow! Why the prinicipal at Rainbow told a parent information concerning several teachers evaluation? She stated all the teachers she gave NI to because of desk not in clusters. Now that is a mess! She need a NI for giving those out. The district need to check things out at Rainbow

34. Mercy Reaid says:

Clusters may work in some classes and not in others. The teacher has to use professional judgement in determining the arrangement of her class.

35. Anonymous says:

The principal had no right to talk about a teacher’s evaluation! This is not professional judgment by the principal. Something should be done regarding this information being leaked out. What was she trying to do? Why would she do harm to someone on her staff? It is sad that some administrators in Dekalb are using unprofessional judgment (no common sense). Dr. Atkinson has given some incompentent principals power in the schools and it has gotten Out of Hand! Please Dr. Atkinson and BOE get rid of some of those principals who are causing problems and having difficulty in thier buildings. I hope that some of the principals do not return to ours schools next year. This is to much foolishness going on in DCSS.

36. Anonymous says:

A real Leader would know that!!!

37. Anonymous says:

You are right but real Leaders are limited in DCSS!!!!! They are so few in the schools. So our children and communities suffer due to lack of LEADERSHIPin our schools. The children are not learning so the children come home frustrated and the parents cannot help them!!!!

38. Anonymous says:

Please tell me why there are so many dirty school buildings? Why are principals are not assuring that these buildings be cleaned immediately? Our children are going to dirty schools it is sad that they have use the restrooms and cafeteria and it is filty!