Important Board Meetings scheduled for Monday

DeKALB BOARD OF EDUCATION BUDGET, AUDIT, FINANCE & FACILITIES COMMITTEE MEETING

The DeKalb Board of Education Committee on Budget, Audit, Finance & Facilities will hold a meeting on Monday, June 11, 2012 at 10:00am in the Cabinet Room in the Robert R. Freeman Administrative Center at the DeKalb County School System’s Administrative & Instructional Complex, 1701 Mountain Industrial Boulevard, Stone Mountain. The purpose of the meeting is to review Board policies and system-wide operations as it relates to the budget.

[There is an opportunity for citizens to comment at this 10:00 am committee meeting which will be followed later in the day by the board’s business meeting at 6:00 pm (no comments at this meeting, just voting on action items discussed and commented on at last week’s work session).]

AGENDA for 10:00 am Committee Meeting on Budget, Audit, Finance & Facilities

A. Call to Order
By: Mr. H. Paul Womack, Jr., Committee Chair

B. Discussion Item
1. Budget FY2013
Presented by: Mr. Michael J. Perrone, Chief Financial Officer, Division of Finance

C. Citizen Comments

D. Adjourn

++++++

NOTICE OF DEKALB BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING:
Monday, June 11, 2012
6:00PM
J. David Williamson Board Room
Robert R. Freeman Administrative Center

AGENDA for June 11, 2012 board business meeting @ 6:00pm

G. ACTION ITEMS
1. Approval of DeKalb County School District Budget for 2012-2013 (FY2013)

2. Amendment to the Bylaws & Policies: READY FOR ACTION – Board Member
Compensation and Expenses, Descriptor Code BBBE
Presented by: Dr. Cheryl L.H. Atkinson, Superintendent

3. City Schools of Decatur 2012-2013 Transportation Agreement
Presented by: Mr. Stephen M. Wilkins, Chief Operations Officer, Division of Operations

4. Martin Luther King, Jr. High School Additions & Renovations Construction
Management/General Contractor at Risk Contract Award

5. Approval of Settlements
Presented by: Mr. Laurance Warco, Attorney, Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan LLP

H. CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS
It is requested that the Board of Education approve the June 11, 2012 consent agenda
items.

Motion by: ___________________ Seconded by: __________________ Vote: _____

1. Approval of Minutes
Presented by: Dr. Cheryl L.H. Atkinson, Superintendent

2. Financial Monthly Report

3. Approval of Non-Resident Tuition

4. Human Resources Monthly Board Report for June 2012
Presented by: Dr. Tekshia M. Ward-Smith, Chief Human Resources Officer,
Division of Human Resources

5. Personnel Recommended for Employment Contracts for 2012-2013
Presented by: Dr. Tekshia M. Ward-Smith, Chief Human Resources Officer,
Division of Human Resources

6. 2013 Perkins IV Career Technical and Agriculture Education (CTAE) Instructional
Improvement Plan
Presented by: Dr. Kathleen S. Howe, Deputy Superintendent, Division of Curriculum
& Instruction

7. 2012 Textbook Adoption Recommendations and 2012-2013 Textbook Purchase
Recommendations
& Instruction

8. Purchase of Professional Services from Pearson, Inc. to Support Curriculum
Mapping into IDMS
& Instruction

9. Purchase of Professional Learning Services from Curriculum Designers, Inc. to Support
On-Going Curriculum Development and Revisions Supporting the Common Core
Georgia Performance Standards
& Instruction

10. Agreement Between the Metro East Georgia Learning Resources System (MEGLRS) and
the Metropolitan Regional Educational Service Agency (MRESA)
& Instruction

11. Payment of Yearly AdvancED SACS CASI dues
& Instruction

12. Ultimate Fighting Championship Donation to the McNair High School
Presented by: Ms. Kendra D. March, Deputy Superintendent, Division of School
Leadership & Operational Support

13. Cellular Carrier Annual Contract Renewal
Presented by: Mr. Gary L. Brantley, Chief Information Officer, Division of
Management Information Systems

14. Recommendation for Approval of Hearing Tribunal Members
Presented by: Mr. Ronald B. Ramsey, Chief Legal Affairs Officer, Division of
Legal Affairs

This entry was posted in Budget Cuts. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Important Board Meetings scheduled for Monday

1. Jim McMahan says:

There was no quorum and they had the meeting as an unofficial meeting.
    I have heard that the Chairman of the budget committee was notified via email as early as Friday that one of the committee members had a conflict with a previously scheduled doctor’s appt. The other committee member notified Mr. Womack of his absence on Sunday which would have been known that they would NOT have a quorum in plenty of time to reschedule the meeting for another time.
    Why did Mr. Womack not reschedule the morning meeting so that both budget committee members could attend and create a quorum? I hope a board member asks him that question at this evening’s meeting!
    On another note, Nancy Jester asked for the new CFO for an update on the expected tax revenue last week at the Monday board meeting and she asked for an update from him again today. He gave the same answer that the DeKalb County Tax Assessor, Mr. Calvin Hicks, still is estimating a 6% decline in revenue.
    I say he is wrong!
    I say he is wrong in a BIG WAY!
    If the revenue shortfall is more than 6% then why is the board wasting all of our time creating a budget to meet a $73,000,000 deficit when it really is more like a $100,000,000 deficit!
    I am writing the DeKalb County CEO and all the county commissioners to express my disbelief that the tax assessors office does not know the EXACT number from the tax rolls!
    The DCSD has been asking for this very empirical, data driven number for MONTHS and the answer is still the same, “we don’t know”.

Jim McMahan
    District 4 School Board Candidate

2. bettyandveronica1 says:

At least the lawyers “identify with the kids”.

3. bettyandveronica1 says:

anyone hear any updates on WHAT is in the budget and what is NOT?

4. Goodteacher says:

Thanks for the show of support for Dekalb teachers (not). I am a good teacher and I work extremely long hours in a school that is struggling. I am saddened that so many seem to believe the only teachers left are the ones that helped get us in this mess. I too have watched teachers that barely know their students climb the leadership ladder all the way to the county office. I am here because I care and I refuse to give up. I worked long after everyone left for vacation and I plan on going back way before school opens. Why? to be prepared. Dekalb has a way of throwing new things at us every year with no time to prepare. Mr. Beasley had us giving assessment after assessment…and making sure we posted on our class profiles at the beginning of last year, or the year before (they all run together). This year we apparently are getting a new curriculum that we have had NO training for. They are also hiring “coaches” to train us I guess as we teach it. Um-we just adopted a new reading series 2 years ago. Now we will have another Reading curriculum-scripted!!! Do you believe scripted teaching works? I don’t but I will give it my best. We are going to be learning and teaching this curriculum along with the new Core standards. Does anyone out there really know what is asked of us? Please acknowledge that there are a few good guys still out there, because sometimes we feel that no one is on our side.

5. anothercomment says:

Alot of Folks should sue due to the Delta Sigma Theta connections since you must be a black female, to join that Soriety. Mostly, that Soriety is only active at Black Colleges. So already, we are seeing that they are only promoting inferior graduates. It has been shown over and over that the HBC’s are infrerior to the colleges that are mainstream. It does not make sence in 2012 that we still have HBC’s or Sorieties that you can only join if you are black. Whites can’t do such things or we will be sued for discrimination.

I will never hire anyone again from an HBC. I hired two, they were such inferior candidates it wasn’t funny. Good bullsh-t interviers, good at hiding from doing any work, good at threatening to sue, but the worst empoyees ever. So never again would I put myself in that position.

6. Stillinthefight says:

As a fellow teacher in the system, I also refuse to be characterized as an ineffective teacher. I know my worth, and fortunately, so do my students and parents. God doesn’t like ugly; hence the current status quo is unsustainable.

7. educator90 says:

If she is worried about her security, than she should be paying for her own security. It is not my job to pay for her security. These guards are to keep those in the schools safe, not the superintendent.

8. Ned says:

I am sorry that you felt the need to close your excellent discussion of what’s wrong with DCSS with a specious attack on Clarkston and Lithonia. The fact is that we have the ravening hordes relatively under control 🙂
    Seriously, decent hard-working people live in both of these communities, just as they do throughout the county, and characterizing either as an “urban wasteland” only reveals your own ignorance of the locales.

9. Ned says:

Am I incorrect in recalling the “I’m going to slug you” Zeporah video ended with Ms. Roberts’ personal DCSD police escort stepping between the reporter and the pugilist?

10. Abouthadenough! says:

Well what a fiasco! So much for voting on the budget tonight. They are now estimating a 9% shortfall in revenue which equates to an additional 12 million they need to find. They are now scheduled to meet next Wednesday afternoon.
    I am disgusted and embarrassed to be a parent and an educator in this system. Between board members not understanding or remembering the information they were listening to and one board member suggesting that they wait until the schools go back in August, I am not surprised we are in this state.

11. Ned says:

It’s a shame you buried your valid point–that hiring decisions based in part on membership in a sexually and racially limited sorority may constitute de facto discrimination–in . . . well, in your other comments. I think we can all interpret those comments pretty easily.

12. Concerned Teacher says:

Although the message of your post is blatantly clear, I must address the historical inaccuracy of your statement in reference to soroities, HIstorically Black Colleges and Universities, and the participation of Black women in these organizations.

For example, the Beta chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha was started on the campus of the University of Chicago, a main stream university. The Gamma chapter of Delta Sigma Theta was started at the University of Pennsylvania, which is considered an “Ivy League” institution of higher learning. These are just two examples of many chapters of “black” sororities at schools other than HBCUs.

In addition, it is not a requirement to be Black to join this sorority. I am not from “the south” and I went to school with a few women, white and Asian, who joined Delta Sigma Theta.

As a educator, I would suggest researching an organization or group of organizations prior to publicly blasting their members. It is unfortunate that you chose to hire inferior candidates who happen to have attended an HBCU and were a member of Delta Sigma Theta.

Non Greek, HBCU graduate

13. justwatch says:

Another Comment (who I presume is a woman) often posts on the AJC get schooled blog, generally about Cobb schools. I am not sure why this person comes here to stir the same old pot.