Candidate Announcement: Tom Gilbert, District 4

Hello. My name is Tom Gilbert. I have been a resident of DeKalb County for more than 30 years. My wife, Janet Gilbert, and I have a son that graduated from Tucker High School and we currently have 2 grandchildren in the DeKalb County school system. I have currently been working for the Home Depot for more than 20 years. I have a high school education myself as well as some college.

I believe that my Common Sense approach to issues is what this county needs. The students are our No 1 Asset!!!! We must find solutions to our budget issues in a manner that shows our students that our importance is on EDUCATION. We must lead by example. If we continue closing schools, laying off staff, and creating furlough days are we showing our students that we believe education is important? Are we showing students that we think they are important?

We need creative ideas to generate more revenue that does not include cell phone tower contracts. We have to communicate and get the school leaders more involved with the the budget as well as coming up with ideas to create more revenue to Save our schools and give our teachers the salaries they deserve. I believe I can make a positive difference. Together with the community we can bring DeKalb County up to one of the best counties to receive an education in Georgia!

Vote 4 TOM GILBERT on July 31, 2012!!!!!

Gallery | This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Candidate Announcement: Tom Gilbert, District 4

1. Vanessa says:

Yes! NO cell towers!!!

2. melaniestef says:

I’d like to hear some concrete alternatives to the proposed cuts. Please share your creative ideas! Sounds great!!!!

3. We have met Mr. Gilbert in person and he told us a lot of ideas that sound very practical – like many of us here have stated. He is very much on the side of the teachers and shares our concerns about the top-heavy administration and the large amounts spent on the attorneys.

We will be awarding him the Get the Cell Out – Atlanta “Seal of Approval” based on his statement against cell towers and based on our discussion with him personally in which he further discussed his disgust for the method by which our board approved the cell towers.

It would be very nice to have someone in office who represents something greater than just the special intersts of only a small, small segment of our district, and even smaller portion of our county. Womack and his connections to big business must go!

Kinney is clearly not on the same page as the majority of the residents in terms of how he feels about cell towers, dicipline or taxes. McMahon has not provided us any feedback on where he stands on the cell tower issue, but we are concerned that he would be in favor since he “represents” Lakeside and they are the group who initiated the requests.

While we still have big concerns about the fact that the district maps are still not approved, we do appreciate people who are stepping up for the right reasons, especially if they understand the fact that the residents and parents who live here do not want the cell towers and want to see our board direct the focus of the system back where it belong – on the children and their educational needs.

Thank you, Mr. Gilbert for stepping up.

4. Dekalb Voter says:

Hey Tom, please obey sign ordinances with your campaign!. attaching sings to a public street sign post on public property, and overhanging into the street is a violation of local ordinances… Not a very good example for our children. Please read and obey the ordinances.

5. Patricia says:

Mr. Gilbert, We would love to see you at the ‘Meet & Greet’ on July 28th at Java DeLight Cafe in Decatur. It’s a Family Fun Day so it will be alot of fun for all. As a Dekalb County resident for almost 20 years I look forward to seeing all of the candidates and officials out there.

6. Tanya Graham says:

PRESS RELEASE
    Just in time for the upcoming July 31st election, the PTSA of Arabia Mountain High School (AMHS) has invited all 12 DeKalb County Board of Education Candidates to participate in a DeKalb County School Board Candidate Forum on Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 6:45 p.m. in the Auditorim at AMHS.  Because AMHS is a School Choice and Magnet School, the students that attend AMHS come from every district in DeKalb County. Given the recent replacement of the Superintendent and other key staff with the DeKalb Board of Education, as well as the recent public debate over major budget cuts, this year’s School Board election is of vital importance to the various communities throughout every segment of DeKalb County. So far, 9 of 12 candidates have confirmed. We do not have an email address or phone number for Tom Gilbert. Please contact us at ptsa@arabiaptsa.org.

The format of the Candidate Forum will be as follows:

Each candidate will make a one-minute opening statement;

Voters will submit their questions for the candidates prior to the meeting. Only 8-12 questions will be asked depending on the number of candidates that confirm. The more confirmations, the fewer questions. Candidates will have 1 minute to answer.

Candidates will have the opportunity to make a two-minute closing statement.

The Candidate Forum will end at 8:30 p.m.

AMHS is located at 6610 Browns Mill Road, Lithonia, GA 30038.

The PTSA of AMHS aticipates that 500 voting DeKalb County citizens will attend the Candidate Forum.

The following DeKalb County Board of Education Candidates have been invited to participate in the Candidate Forum at Arabia Mountain High School on Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 6:45pm. Those with a star (*) have confirmed their participation:

District 2
    Don McChesney (I)*
    Marshall Orson*

District 4
    Tom Gilbert (no contact information yet)
    Jim Kinney*
    Jim McMahan
    Paul Womack (I) (his emails bounce back)

District 6
    Dr. Melvin Johnson*
    Denise McGill*
    Terrilyn Rivers-Cannon*
    Latasha Walker*

District 8
    Michelle Jenkins-Clark*
    Dr. Pam Speaks (I)*

7. District 4 voter says:

An election should be run with honesty and respect. It irritates me to see campaign signs on the public right of way (violation or DeKalb County Code APPENDIX B LOCAL CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS, ARTICLE XIII. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS AND OFFENSES Sec. 703). If you want to be elected you should show sound character by following the laws. How can one vote for a candidate who either doesn’t know the law or thinks he/she is above the law. When a candidate demonstrates they have no respect others or authority, they won’t be getting my vote! I think DCSS has had enough of that! I would much rather have cell towers than a school board member who refuses follow County regulations!

It would be refreshing if all the people who are upset about cell towers would do a little homework and research the scientific data available that shows the risk or lack thereof, associated with cell towers. I wonder if they use cell phones. Research indicates using a cell phone regularly poses a greater health risk. I would bet these same people let their children use cell phones. I would also bet they get upset if they have poor cell service. I do agree cell towers are ugly.

8. Tanya Graham says:

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contact: Tanya Graham, President
    July 9, 2012 PTSA of Arabia Mountain High School
    president@arabiaptsa.org
    770.875.0213 PTSA Direct Line
    678.875.3602 AMHS Main Number

Lithonia, GA – All 12 candidates for the DeKalb County Board of Education have confirmed their participation in the Candidates Forum sponsored by the PTSA of Arabia Mountain High School (AMHS). The DeKalb County Board of Education Candidates will each give a one-minute opening remark before answering pre-selected questions from voters. Candidates will have the opportunity to make a two-minute closing statement.

The DeKalb County School Board Candidates Forum will take place on Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 6:45 p.m. in the Auditorim at AMHS.  Because AMHS is a School Choice and Magnet School, the students who attend AMHS come from every district in DeKalb County. Given the recent replacement of the Superintendent and other key staff with the DeKalb Board of Education, as well as the recent public debate over major budget cuts, this year’s School Board election is of vital importance to the various communities throughout every segment of DeKalb County. The PTSA of AMHS is very proud to host all 12 School Board candidates in this very important Forum just ahead of the July 31st elections.

The Candidates Forum is open to the public. The PTSA of AMHS anticipates that 500 voting DeKalb County citizens will attend. Voters are encoraged to arrive early. The Forum will end at 8:30 p.m.

AMHS is located at 6610 Browns Mill Road, Lithonia, GA 30038.

Below is the list of all DeKalb County Board of Education Candidates:

Terrilyn Rivers-Cannon
    Latasha Walker

District 8
    Michelle Jenkins-Clark
    Dr. Pam Speaks (I)

9. Steven says:

While I own a cell phone and use it occasionally, I do not tape it to my head while I sleep or to my ear while I am driving or at work. The cell towers will emit their radiation 24/7/365. My phone only does while it is being used. Also, my 5 year old and 2 year old children do not use my cell phone. I have been without cell service at my house for as long as I have had a cell phone and I rarely complain. Amazingly, I have figured out how to use the landline phone in my house to make calls.

And in regards to the sign versus cell tower issues; Paul Womak is ignoring state law to put up his towers so how is that different from ignoring a county law to put up a sign? I assume you will be voting for one of the other District 4 candidates then?

10. District 4 voter says:

It baffles me how people feel that by not using their cellular devices they are not being exposed to RF (the type of radiation). Even when you are not talking on your cell phone it emits RF waves. Not until you remove the battery pack will it stop transmitting. This is how you are able to receive calls. It is on constant “ping” standby. People clip cell phones on to their belt next to their kidneys without concern. Do you use a security system, garage door opener, microwave oven, remote control toys, televisions, cable boxes, dish antennas, etc… We bring these devices and items into our homes without concern and they cause greater potential exposure than a cell tower. Are you aware that many local businesses also lease cell “micro towers” in order to generate additional revenue? These can be found in church signs, gas station signs; they can even be in office building ceiling light fixtures. At the end of the day, by owning RF emitting devices we are personally responsible for causing RF waves. We consciously expose ourselves and our families every minute of every day. If we did not use cell phones we would not need towers! You my friend are contributing.

Mr. Womack was wrong in his handling of the cell issue. He is also a human being and capable of making mistakes. He has spoken on the issues many times. Shame on those out there who sensationalize the unauthorized voice recorded conversation with Mr. Womack concerning cell phone towers. Most of us would choose our words with greater care if we knew we were being recorded. He was unaware he was being recorded!

For me the bottom line lies with who is qualified to serve our children, schools, and community as a school board member. I do not believe Mr. Gilbert possesses the ability to serve in such a crucial capacity. He may have ideas but I don’t believe he has the education, experience or character to handle this demanding responsibility effectively.