VOTE TODAY — 7 AM – 7 PM

DeKalb School Watch endorses:

District 2 — Don McChesney

District 4 — James McMahan

District 6 — Denise McGill

District 8 — Pam Speaks

Gallery | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to VOTE TODAY — 7 AM – 7 PM

1. It actually reads “Jim McMahon” on the ballot.

And, if you want to have a say in the CEO race, you have to ask for a Democratic ballot. In Geogia, you are not registered by party affiliaion, so anyone can ask for any ballot. You just can’t vote in a runoff if you didn’t vote in a primary.

The CEO’s office does not have a Republican challenger, so it is only on the Democratic ballot. So, the winner of this primary will run unopposed in November.

Also, sadly, the DA is running unopposed. Welcome back D.A. Robert “they can police themselves” James.

2. Dr. DeKalb says:

Just saw Kinney outside a voting location in Dist. 4 talking to voters and watched as they told him to leave due to the 100 meter rule.

3. DeKalb County Board of Education District 2
    Precincts Reporting: 0/25 (0%)
    Last Updated: 2012-07-31 22:37:57
    Marshall Orson
    57%
    2995
    Don McChesney
    43%
    2223
    DeKalb County Board of Education District 4
    Precincts Reporting: 0/26 (0%)
    Last Updated: 2012-07-31 22:40:08
    H. Paul Womack, Jr.
    47%
    4585
    Jim McMahan
    27%
    2666
    Tom Gilbert
    14%
    1395
    Jim Kinney
    11%
    1102

DeKalb County Board of Education District 6
    Precincts Reporting: 0/24 (0%)
    Last Updated: 2012-07-31 22:40:58
    Melvin Johnson
    40%
    1597
    Denise E. McGill
    29%
    1183
    Latasha Walker
    22%
    872
    Terriyln C. Rivers-Cannon
    10%
    387

DeKalb County Board of Education District 8
    Precincts Reporting: 0/86 (0%)
    Last Updated: 2012-07-31 22:43:29
    Pam Speaks
    52%
    13204
    Michelle “Mimi” Clark
    48%
    11977

4. d says:

Actually, you may vote in a runoff even if you didn’t vote in the primary. If you voted in the primary, you may not switch parties, but if you didn’t vote in the primary, you may select whichever ballot you want if there are races on it.

5. d says:

I tried to post this once before, not sure if it got caught in a filter or whatever, but Get the Cell out is mistaken about who may vote in a runoff – even if you did not vote in the primary, you MAY vote in a runoff election. You, however, may not switch parties so if you voted in the Republican primary, you must vote in a Republican runoff – same for the Democrat or non-partisan primaries. If you did not vote today, you may vote in any primary that has a runoff that you are eligible for.

6. momfromhe11 says:

THe ballot also had Marshall Orson listed above Don McChesney. No matter which way you look at it, alphabetically, Don’s name comes first and as an incumbent, his name comes first. Sadly, the fact is that if a voter is not sure or unacquainted with the candidates, that voter will usually vote for the first name on the ballot.

I recall that a vote was voided and the election had to be rerun because of a candidate’s name being misspelled on the ballot – wouldn’t this be the same sort of situation?

7. momfromhe11 says:

I may be lost in the blogosphere. If not, forgive the double post:

The ballot had Marshall Orson listed above Don McChesney for the District 2 race. Whether you look at it alphabetically or “incumbent first”, this was an error. Sadly, many voters who are not familiar with the candidates will just vote for the first one on the list.

I recall a race a few years ago where a candidate’s name was misspelled and the results were voided; a new election was held. Isn’t this the same type of thing? There was a little note on the wall BEHIND where you checked in saying that they were listed in the wrong order. Is this enough to cover the error?

8. Jim Kinney says:

?????
    >Dr. DeKalb says:
    >July 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    >Just saw Kinney outside a voting location in Dist. 4 talking to voters and watched as they told >him to leave due to the 100 meter rule.

Um, What?! I voted at my polling place on Brockett Road. I did not visit any other location. Not only was I not asked to leave by anyone, I was not even approached by anyone about any distance violation as I had no campaigning activity at all that day. I did have a very nice conversation with a new Dekalb resident who was appalled at how Georgia runs it’s elections. And that conversation, Dr. Dekalb, still took place outside the 100 FOOT limit to avoid even the appearance of error.

Lastly – this is America and our rule makers don’t _do_ metric so crying about a 100m limit for anything is, well, wrong side of the pond. I think you must be mistaken about what I look like. Did you not see the ads I ran on Tucker Patch all July with my face on it? Did you not look at the website http://electjimkinney.org while doing your candidate research before you voted? Do all us bearded guys look the same? I’d hate to have to shave mine like the games coordinator from “The Hunger Games” just people would recognize me.

Jim Mcmahan is the district 4 winner as of 10:25 pm after the run off.

9. Jim Kinney says:

momfromhe11 – (great nickname!) – A greater issue is whether the screen error was corrected in the counting software. The text of the candidate name is not necessarily the item counted in computer balloting. If the wrong text was attached to the actual code that was counted, and that code was not also reversed on the reporting end, Marshall Orson may not have legitimately won. This is quite serious and calls for an election fraud investigation. Was this only on the paper ballots?

10. Jim Kinney, thanks for this information. It is very interesting and does make sense, especially for the electronic ballots. It is our understanding that Don McChesney pointed out the error to the DeKalb Voter Registration and Elections Office and they refused to do anything about it. Yes, our understanding also is that the error was made on both the paper ballots and the electronic ballots. We hope you will get in touch with Don McChesney about this and share your knowledge of how votes are counted electronically. Please keep us informed so that we can follow this story. It may actually be breaking news.

11. BTW – Jim – you have posted such interesting and relevant input lately — anytime you’d like to write up a blog post, feel free! Send it to us at dekalbschoolwatch@gmail.com and we will get it posted! We need your kind of expertise! Kim — you too!! And that goes for anyone else with something important to contribute! If the ‘spirit’ moves you – get writing! Even better, do an Open Records Request and/or dig up some supporting data. We like facts around here very much.

12. Jim Kinney says:

I contacted both McChesney and Orson. Orson called me back. He thinks it’s a non-issue as McChesney didn’t dispute the error at an earlier time.

Just so people know – I work in IT and have a solid understanding of application programming. I am very concerned with the electronic voting we use as it provides no human-readable ballot. The opportunity to tamper with an election with electronic balloting would be nearly impossible to detect given that the same firm provides both the touch-screen ballot AND the tool that counts the ballot cards. As things are now, there is no way to do a recount that doesn’t involve the same software. Because the software is proprietary, it is not open for public inspection so only a selected, paid for by the vendor group get to see the underlying source code.

I don’t think that this election was tampered with. I don’t know how the candidate names are inserted into the process and that matters in this situation. If it’s two separate processes or a single-step process it makes a huge difference in a swapped name order with computer code. If there is an error, I see it as being a human, honest mistake. Marshall told me many people think his first name is Orson. Many people rename me McKinney so I understand. I may have to start wearing my kilt so I can justify the “Mac”.

dekalbschoolwatch – I will take you up on your offer of posting as soon as I settle on a topic – science needs, math, gifted programs, disciplinary principals, lunch quality, third grade, I could go on forever 🙂

13. Hi, Jim! Thanks for this further information. We certainly agree with your very real concerns about the insecure, untraceable electronic voting used in Georgia.

We will be happy to post articles from you. So, our suggestion — because there are so many topics out there — is to put the topics on post-it notes on a wall, close your eyes (no peeking, now!) and toss a dart at the wall to select a topic to write about. LOL!

14. Jim Kinney says:

Hah! With my darts skills, I’d hit my laptop 😦
    Maybe I’ll reuse the Twister spinner board….