Shell Game Redux: Watch Walker’s Hands

Once again, Gene Walker is passing off misinformation as fact.

DeKalb Neighbor Newspaper forwarded to DeKalb School Watch a self-serving article written by Gene Walker, in opposition to the Charter School Amendment to the Georgia Constitution. Read it here: [http://neighbornewspapers.com/view/full_story/20271392/article-Column–Keep-public-schools-in-hands-of-local-taxpayers?instance=dekalb] Meanwhile, here’s the truth to set the record straight.

Ironically, Walker’s article begins, “While most of us are going about our daily lives in our normal routines, there are a handful of folks at the state capitol who have been up to no good.” This would be really amusing if the damage to our children’s education and their futures by the apparently corrupt and clearly ignorant Walker and the Gang of Five wasn’t so tragic.

Walker declares, “Keep public schools in the hands of local taxpayers.” And he is right. There is nothing more local and more directly accountable to stakeholders than a charter school. The reality is that many of DeKalb County’s schools would have been shut down, already, if they were charter schools.

Thanks to Walker and the Gang of Five, the North DeKalb taxpayers who are shouldering the largest tax burden for public schools in DeKalb County are completely shut out of any decision-making. These taxpayers are continually denied meaningful representation, yet for the most part, these are people who are well-educated, professionally successful, financially secure and have spent their lives making prudent decisions – unlike most of the people on the current school board.

Quite frankly, we would rather take our chances with people who are committed to the concept of charter schools than with the convicted felons, the scoundrels, the corrupt, the morally bankrupt and the uneducated who make up the voting majority on the DeKalb County Schools Board of Education.

Walker erroneously states, “Charter schools can pick and choose.” Not true! Not true at all and Walker knows it. Charter schools cannot have entrance/admissions requirements. As public schools, charter schools are required to admit all students, up to the maximum of their capacity – and sometimes even beyond that capacity. When there are more students wanting to enroll in a particular school than available seats, a lottery for the seats must be held.

Tax dollars (with the exception of Title 1 funding) follow the students through per-pupil funding, whether they go to a traditional public school or a public charter school. Traditional public schools that are performing well have nothing to fear from public charter schools. On the other hand, a school system and/or schools that are corrupt and that are simply a way to funnel tax dollars to adults – a school system like, say, DeKalb County Schools – will fight tooth-and-nail to maintain status quo.

Walker (“I see color.”[1] ) goes on to play the race card by irresponsibly suggesting that the charter school amendment to Georgia’s Constitution will lead to pre-1954 segregation in public schools. Laughably – and with no documentation – Walker says this charter school amendment is the “end of universal free public education,” completely ignoring Georgia’s constitutional requirement to provide free public education for all K-12 children.[2] This amendment will not affect Georgia’s constitutional requirement to provide a free K-12 public education. This amendment will merely make it possible to get approval for charter schools through the State when school systems like DeKalb are unreasonable. And there is plenty of history of DeKalb’s recalcitrance concerning charter schools.

The only thing that Walker gets right in his article of innuendo and outright lies is that DeKalb County Schools is “a once-great school system.” This charter school amendment gives stakeholders an unprecedented opportunity to begin to take back our schools – school by school — provide close scrutiny and make them great, again.

Again, we say that we would rather take our chances with people who are committed to the concept of charter schools than with the convicted felons, the scoundrels, the corrupt, the morally bankrupt and the uneducated who make up the voting majority on the DeKalb County Schools Board of Education.

[1] “I am a very, very race-conscious person. I will never ever try to lead you to believe that I am race-neutral. I see color. I appreciate color. I celebrate color and I love color.” DeKalb County school board member Eugene Walker, discussing race-based contracting and a subsequent decision to pay an extra $1 million to get a firm headed by a black female. DeKalb’s legal expenses are higher than the combined total of legal expenses for school systems in Cobb, Gwinnett and Fulton counties.

[2] State of Georgia Constitution ARTICLE VIII. EDUCATION SECTION I. PUBLIC EDUCATION
Paragraph I. Public education; free public education prior to college or
postsecondary level; support by taxation . The provision of an adequate public education for the citizens shall be a primary obligation of the State of Georgia. Public education for the citizens prior to the college or postsecondary level shall be free and shall be provided for by taxation.

This entry was posted in Gene Walker, Georgia Education, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Shell Game Redux: Watch Walker’s Hands

1. Kiko Jewel says:

Voting yes on this bill would allow businesses, corporations and other non-educators to open for-profit charter schools where ever they so desire, without the consent or regard of the community in which they decide to plop a school. Because they answer to no one, they will spend the bare minimum to educate the students. They will accept exceptional ed students and gifted students for funding purposes, and then kick them out when parents attempt to have voice in their child’s education. You would have no voice, because they won’t allow you sit on the board. Period! They would answer to no one in the state of Georgia, and its dangerous to vote yes just because we don’t like the DeKalb County School Board members. Once you say yes, it will become a rolling tumbleweed that can’t be stopped, as they will be unregulated and could, if they wanted–plop a military school, alternative school, jail transition program, circus-training school, or whatever they so desire. I don’t like Gene Walker either, but stop putting out bad information simply because you don’t like Gene Walker, and make the choice that won’t ruin our neighborhoods. It is true that you will be able to open your charter school without the approval of the DeKalb School Board; but it also opens the doors for Barney in Wisconsin to open a charter school right next door to yours…in your neighborhood. If you feel so strongly about opening the kind of school you want, there is no law that stops you from opening a private school. Go co-op, even. This is dangerous legislation that we all must live with.

2. Murphey says:

I am very concerned that Dr. Walker thinks that charter schools can “pick and choose.” This is wrong. Charter schools may not have any entrance requirements.

If he is wrong on such a basic fact…..

3. Hmmm.
    “they will spend the bare minimum to educate the students” Well, in DeKalb, we do that at ‘some’ schools so that we can spend a bundle at others.
    “if they wanted–plop a military school, alternative school, jail transition program, circus-training school, or whatever they so desire.” Well, in DeKalb we have all of those (just ROTC for now, as the military academy idea fell through) – except the circus-training school – that is a private school in Inman Park.
    “You would have no voice, because they won’t allow you sit on the board. Period!” Well, now that is simply not true. Did Gene Walker tell you that?
    “stop putting out bad information simply because you don’t like Gene Walker, and make the choice that won’t ruin our neighborhoods” Well, has Destiny Academy, The Leadership Academy, The International Student Center or the Museum School ruined any neighborhoods? Why, no – in fact, two of them are using schools that had previously been shuttered by DCSS and were sitting vacant causing blight to their neighborhood.

Why so paranoid? Why so defensive of the public status quo? The only people who would be harmed are those who now enjoy cushy, overpaid, educratical jobs that they would never, ever be able to replace.

4. Kiko Jewel says:

Not paranoid…just thinking logically. My point is this legislation would open the doors for outsiders to come into my community–your community, and open schools that don’t meet the needs of our children. Your point about Destiny, Leadership, and Museum supports my argument. They were for the community, by the community. Get over yourself, because I am neither of those people you described. My son is excelling in a public charter school (outside of DeKalb) AND I have a voice, because the board members are community businessmen and parents…not people from Texas who could care less of my child’s needs.

5. The Deal says:

Kiko, how does a charter school begin and thrive in an area if they are not supported? That is the whole point. If 50 charters try to start up in DeKalb, but only 10 do their job, only 10 will remain. A charter school will not stay open without students.

6. We are concerned, too. No one could accuse Gene Walker of being well-informed.

7. hopespringseternal says:

See, this is the problem with promoting a perverse cure for a perverse illness. We in DeKalb County are having the so-called charter school amendment discussion against the backdrop of all that’s wrong with DeKalb County Schools. I suppose I should be grateful that this is a statewide question; maybe those outside of DeKalb will see the forest and put the trees aside for a moment.

In the long run, and for the state as a whole, this perverse amendement question should not pass. It is tantamount to handing over our own constitutionally-provided rights. It sets up a comission of unelected people to do that which can already be done. It’s just that this is a really hard sell in DeKalb, where many think the cesspool reigns supreme. I am the parent of a child who likely could benefit greatly, even now, from being in a charter-type setting. My heart breaks every morning when he goes to school and breaks more when he comes home and gives me the daily report of all that didn’t happen that day.

But this charter amendement? NOT the answer — not even for him. I’ll take care of him. I promote his critical thinking. I follow up with the gaping holes of whatever didn’t happen that day. I commit to making myself a pain trying to get answers. This is my job. And a savior-board of UN-elected people isn’t going to save him. And they can’t do a better job with him than I can. I will NEVER give up my constitutional rights afforded to me by a combination of founding fathers and blood on civil war battlefields and obliteration of Jim Crow laws. I will NEVER hand that over. That’s the forest. My son is the tree, and I can deal with my tree and see the forest at the same time.

8. guest says:

These people are not committed to Charter Schools or children, DSW. They are committed to money. Period.

9. guest says:

By these people I mean Alice Walton and the out of state charter school companies that are funding the push for this amendment. Please vote NO.

10. howdy1942 says:

I am still undecided on how I will vote. One thing is for sure – the Dekalb County School System and the Board have given us Crawford Lewis, Pat Pope, endless investigations and letters from SACS, fiscal irresponsibility, and declining performance of our schools. I really don’t like that and the School Board has done nothing to even begin to restore my confidence in the System nor do they seem to really care about doing that.

In short, I don’t want to leave the Public School System, but it is becoming clearer to me that that want to abandon me, tax me, and not improve the situation.

11. It has been extremely interesting POST election to listen to and read comments from this Watchdog group who is suppose to be working towards the best interest of all students in DeKalb County schools. After reading snide comments, seeing folks being monitored or not posted and even a snide comments made to myself, I have seriously had to stop and wonder whose side is DW2 on? What secret relationships lie within the hidden an unnamed here? There are I have foun some relationships that were fostered way before elections. Support of this group in conjunction with thos relationships have me wondering just how random things really were? In doing some research, it is amazing the political connections and the piecing together of the puzzle brings clarity to what really has been going on around here. Audience I ask you what happens when you can’t trust the watchdog group who is suppose to be working with us?? Take heed and keep that in the back of your min as you watch what transpires over the next few months. DW2 your stance on a few thing greatly disturbs me and has had me seriously refrain from any serious comments or responses. All I KNOW IS…..Something is rotten in Denmark…..and its right here in our own backyard….Wake up readers…and pay close attention to ALL the players….things are NOT what they seem.

In regards to the INFAMOUS HR1162 AMENDMENT….

Bravo to those of you who can see through the BS as it relates to HR 1162. It is the biggest pile of CRAP I have ever seen in the guise o assisting every child. Let’s be honest- The bottom line is, we are giving the state the OK to appoint a commission to take our money and have at it any way they chose. It gives them permission to take those tax dollars without any care to what the community, parents or local school boards want and does wha it wants with those dollars. PERIOD…

Hope Springs Eternal you are DEAD ON! If only the rest of the State of GA were on the same thought process we actually might have a victory in the classroom for every student in this state.

No one denies that the need for Charter schools are there, nor do they deny that parents have the right to fight or them. What it does deny is parental/community/local school involvement when the state steps in -and with the help of privitization funding takes over- community, parents, local school board, and children be damned.

Anyone know where I can Get VOTE NO ON AMENDMENT HR1162 SIGNS? I know many who would love to put them in their yard!!! Me being number one!

The other thing that GREATLY disturbs me DW2 are the continued discussions to take us back 40 years by digressing and requesting segregation in DeKalb county.This seems to be something that you ae much in support of-this isturbs me as I have yet to determine how this supports one dekalb and every child. The continue CRY for smaller school board districts broken down by location(as each town secedes from the county) is nothing more than repeat segregation 2012 style….

I’m just sayin……

12. PO says:

Denise, I value the fact that you have an opposing opinion, but drawing in the paranoia factor makes me take you less and less seriously every time I read your comments. Keep it professional.

13. @Denise says:

You did not receive any snide comments. You received very direct and serious ones. I am very glad you didn’t get elected. You would have been Eugene Walker in drag. (Again, serious comment. Not snide.)

14. hopespringseternal says:

Apologies for my typo’s in my previous post. Heavens to Betsy!

15. Ken Thompson says:

OK. I’ll bite.

Please explain: “No one denies that the need for Charter schools are there”, without any edu-babble. No “pathway to excellence”, no “modalities”, and no “paradigms”. Just explain to this feeble-minded taxpayer how I can be paying for what is touted by the system as a great school and yet NEED another, parallel school?

And please don’t trot out the “one size” drivel. If a parallel charter school authorized by the education professionals at the “local” district can see the need for a different approach (but only if pointed out) then why can they not see this need on their own and use their own initiative to implement the (now clearly) necessary changes in the existing public school?

16. The Deal says:

Denise, your post is pretty vague, but I’m guessing you’re feeling burned by some of the negativity you’ve experienced on this site. I don’t think there is a conspiracy. I think the moderators of this blog are long-time DeKalb school activists and, because of that time and inevitable frustration, may seem or be defensive. Having only been in this system for 7 years, I myself have seen a shift in my own personal beliefs with respect to public schools, certain political issues, and some cultural issues. It is tiring and frustrating to be a parent in this system, much less any sort of leader (or blog moderator). Also, given that there are actual individuals behind the scenes of this blog, they are allowed to have their own opinions, are allowed to express them, and are allowed to engage in debates (sometimes critical and even aggressive) on key issues. No, they aren’t as neutral as Cerebration was, but they’re different people. Despite the argumentative nature, I am still grateful that there is a forum where people feel comfortable to be very open on what is going on out there. I would be in the dark without this information.

If you have specific information that you think the rest of the blog community needs to know about, then post it.

17. DeKalb Inside Out says:

Ken,
    I think you answered a lot of your own questions…

Your Question 1 I can be paying for what is touted by the system as a great school and yet NEED another, parallel school
    Answer 1: DCSD is the exact definition of great, except just the opposite

Q2 then why can they not see this need on their own
    A2: Becase they are – Too big, incompetent, don’t care, etc … take your pick

Q3>It seems to me that if public schools were as good, as responsive (that “local” control theory) and as well run by professional as those professing pros claim then we would already have adopted the “best practices” of charter schools.
    A3: Please refer back to A1 and A2.

18. DeKalb Inside Out says:

Kiko.
    WHOOOOOAAAAAA!! Calm down …. take a breath.
    I’m not sure I completely follow you.
    1. How does an outsider come in and open schools?
    2. If a charter school isn’t meeting the needs of the people, how does it stay open without students?
    3. How does Barney in Wisconsin open a charter school in Georgia?

Note: Charter Schools must be non-profit and are generally comprised of parents, teachers and civic leaders from the community.

19. DeKalb Inside Out says:

Denise,
    State Charter Schools are commissioned by the state. The state cannot run them. State Charter Schools are governed by the community.

Any other coherent points related to this blog post thread you would like to make? Please refrain from your usual soliloquy … some of us have lives to attend to.

20. concernedmom30329 says:

I am supporting the amendment but in fairness, most of the nonprofits that are operating schools in GA have a for profit origin, GA’s charter law doesn’t allow for-profits to operate schools, thus the need for them to start charters. Across GA, companies like Imagine, K12, Mosaica, etc are operating schools.
    I no longer believe that for-profits are bad for students. I understand that they may not be good for teachers, but just like if a school can’t retain students, if it can’t retain teachers it can’t say in business either. I know of at least two private schools that nearly closed a decade ago because they couldn’t hire/keep teachers because salaries were so much higher in public schools.
    The trick will be training parents, particularly poor uneducated ones, to be good consumers.
    The data in DeKalb doesn’t lie. Poor minority students do worse in DeKalb than surrounding systems. Something needs to change in these communities. Charters aren’t perfect, but for some students, especially those trapped in really dismal schools, they may be these students only hope.

21. Dr. DeKalb says:

State Charter Schools — why? Does anyone here actually think we can afford ANY new schools right now? Didn’t we just close a bunch of schools because we could not afford to keep them open?

Is there ANY groups out there right now that wants a charter school and cannot have one? Please, tell us about them. Who are they? What’s their idea? Where do they see a need that we haven’t addressed by one of the many charter schools we have already? Were they turned down? Why?

Show me the actual NEED for this state commission. I do not see it. This is about political power and NOT about education. If you want me to vote to actually make a change to our constitution, you had better make a convincing argument because that is not something that should be taken lightly.

Why does the “state” all of a sudden think our problem is related to not starting up schools, charter or otherwise, fast enough? If they want to help, maybe they can look at the money they are allocating to education as a whole and stop reducing it every year. If they want to help DeKalb, they could stop redistributing our money to other counties, starting with Gwinnett.

If the “state” will bring a lawsuit threat against its own “state” superintendent of its own “state” Board of Education to stop him from telling us his opinion about an issue related to education – how am I suppoed to trust them with anything? They want to control the message, stop any opposition or free speech and take power away from our locally elected representatives.

DSW, shame on you for not researching ALEC and informing your readers about the similiarities between their model legislation and the agendas you have been in favor of here. You are losing a lot of credibility over this one.

22. just me says:

Parents write a charter. Parents work for company. Company gets sweet deal to run the charter. Parents no longer needed. Appointed officials get kickbacks without fear of facing re-election. Kids grow up. Parents no lnger involved with that school. Power now lies where? Methinks it is with the comany and the ones who approved them. Cuts everyone else out, even the board you elected is better than one you do not even get to vote for.

23. just me says:

DeKalb Inside Out – explained what you mean by “governed”

24. The Deal says:

Just me, there is only power where there is a school and students. If all of the families who helped found a charter graduate, and there are no more families interested in that charter, then the charter school ceases to exist. No students = no charter = no power.

25. DeKalb Inside Out says:

Just Me,
    Good question. “Governed” is intentionally vague. The board of that state charted school is the ultimate authority. The administrative oversight is defined by the charter. Reference House Bill 797 lines 205-236 for who may serve on a state charted school’s board.

26. DeKalb Inside Out says:

Dr DeKalb,
    State money will follow the child, but local money will stay with the school district. That means for every child that goes to a charter school, the traditional school district has more money per child in their schools.

For most parents in Georgia, the only available public school choice is the school located in their respective attendance zone. Since the majority of school systems have never approved a charter school and few “bricks-and-mortar” state charter schools exist, the state virtual charter schools offer the only public alternative available to most Georgia students.

Barge and Deal have both been spending tax dollars to campaign against/for this amendment. That is against the law. Olens’ note encouraged both sides to follow the law.

ALEC keeps coming up. I posit that when somebody has decided to be against the amendment, they look for reasons to support their decision and come up with ALEC … IMHO.

27. @ just me: your theory is far outside of what is reality.

28. @Dr. DeKalb, etc: Not only is this an idea that the state of Georgia is proposing, it is an idea pushed down from the federal government and President Obama and Arne Duncan. Google it. They have a goal of closing at least 5,000 failing schools and opening many of them as charters.

Again: This is not simply a Georgia trend. This is national. The purpose is to focus on education in the classrooms – not bureaucracy at the central offices.

29. Have you ever looked into how much money Pearson makes off public education? Pearson is definitely in it for profit!

DeKalb alone just approved a multi-million dollar contract for textbooks, testing supplies, etc… Then, let’s delve into curriculum, or technology or buses or trailers or construction … all for profit of course!

30. Oh where to begin.

First, the information we sent to Womack was not given to us by any of you. We dug up our own data on the budgets and spending and discovered that many of the proposed ‘cuts’ had never been implemented. That was exactly the point Womack was making, so we shared the documents he needed (documents that actually came from DCSS but that Womack hadn’t pieced together).

Secondly, check with the county. There is no question that north DeKalb pays a majority of the total tax burden in DeKalb. That’s not the issue. The issue is taxation without representation. Our board reps Jester, Womack and McChesney continue to get out voted on nearly every issue of consequence – including raising our taxes to pay for all of the cuts that aren’t really being implemented!

And no – we do not delete comments that simply disagree with us – we delete comments that are racially, personally or otherwise offensive and out of line. Your first amendment right does not allow you to act as a troll or a bully on the internet. Like we always say, it’s very easy to set up a blog! Have at it!

Insults on Dunwoody Mom? Not sure about that one. We have never insulted Dunwoody Mom, however, she certainly has had aired her opinion of us on the AJC blog.

And the ALEC issue is not of interest to us. Yes, they support charter schools. So does President Obama and Arne Duncan (Secretary of Education). [ http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/23/education_secretary_arne_duncan_pushes_to ] We have agreed to support the charter school amendment because we do not believe in tossing hurdles in the way of educating children. We did not come to our viewpoint due to anyone else’s opinions.

But, your point about Walker and Womack getting on another board again together in the future does make us lose sleep!

31. Actually, even if that were true, it could be better. Both Wisconsin and Texas post far, far, far better test scores than Georgia.

32. Rose says:

As a Stone Mountain resident who pays my share of taxes and so do my neighbors and many of us do not have childern in the school system, I am tired of reading about the poor North DeKalb residents who pay most of the taxes and have no say in what is going on. Well hear this we don’t either. I do not agree with Dr. Walker and the others who make the worst possible decisions for children. I do not think well of them at all. So can you please keep North/South/East/West out of it. All students are the victims and all taxpayers are being cheated and sidelined.

33. Denise E. McGill says:

Mad Dad

THANK GOD there are folks like you that understand!!!

KEY POINT…”ALEC is behind the charter school bill. ALEC doesn’t care about letting voters have a say on anything. It is the group of legislators and business executives who create bills without telling the public about them then try to get them passed before anyone notices. They further the objectives of big business, not children, not citizens, not teachers. http://www.alecexposed.org

YOU ARE SO ON SPOT MAD DAD…Thank you for getting it…

To the readers of this post- myself and two other credible individuals have been doing some digging piecing together information that quite frankly – scared the bejesus out of us. It’s NOT PARANOIA, its fact and all in writing- just have to piece it all together. – This is not just a simple thing, and it is not all about equal opportunities for all students. This is about SERIOUS money and corruption beginning with our existing school board, our newly elected school board, and some major players on this board in addition to local and state politicians. When you start looking at it on a diagram, its frightening.

When you start asking people to divulge information, and when you note that the content and direction of a blog seems to change as noted- its not paranoia, its wondering the when, what , where, how and why? It’s really ok to ask those questions, and it’s really ok to vocalize them as well. There has been a serious shift here, and that does bring about legitimate concern.

Whomever made the comment that they are glad I didn’t win- Guess what? I THANK GOD I DID NOT WIN- When this time bomb explodes its taking no prisoners. Including some of the newly elected who have serious ties to the old. As I have learned- everything is not as it seems and much can be orchestrated. This election has taught me a whole lot- and i needed to learn it and get hit with it dead on. I now understand the degree and measures individuals will take to ensure that money and NOT children come first.

The Deal- Thank you, I do understand what you are saying- but I’d like you to please understand that I do know what I am referring- it is not paranoia. In fact- it’s downright scary. As we continue to research and pull up names, it has us very nervous about the consequences should everything be as we think it is….I do not put blind statements with no truth…

DeKalb Inside Out- I will not refrain from speaking the truth- and if you have a life to attend to , by all means do so- Just make sure YOU know what you are talking about before assuming someone else does not. When I ran for the BOD, I said that I was an independent thinker who was going to work in the best interest for EVERY CHILD in DeKalb County- Just because I don’t sit on a board does not mean that I am sitting here twiddling my thumbs. Perhaps you should refrain from your usual soliloquy and start doing some fact finding- I’d be willing to make a bet with you, and you would end up having to honor it- This HR 1162 is Bigger than anyone can ever imagine- and it is NOT about what is in the best interest of all children.

For all others…three words ALEC ALEC ALEC…..hmmmmmm

34. @ Denise, although we are flattered that you think we have some kind of political power or powerful friends behind the scenes, we really must point out that nothing could be further from the truth. We are just regular people with regular jobs who work hard at them every day, pay our bills, help out our kids, walk our dogs and generally live out our ordinary lives. It’s just that we happen to know a lot of the history and can bring perspective. We all worked very hard in the past 15+ years to advance our schools – yes, for all children. We do, however, resent the fact that now our board reps continue to get outvoted when it comes to voicing our community’s opinions and yes, we think the system would function better if divided into smaller systems. Divide them vertically for all we care – just make them smaller. Then see if the smaller systems think it’s a good idea to spend millions upon millions on lawyers. The smaller the troughs, the smaller the chance for pigs to feed.

35. Lots of mystery in your comment, Denise. We will await your proof of whatever it is that’s ‘scaring the bejesus’ out of you. Must admit – it’s an interesting tactic to get people to vote your way — scare them with innuendo. Kind of McCarthy-like.

So, I ask you – is President Obama in on this conspiracy plan? He is front and center a big proponent of creating thousands more charter schools nationwide. oooooooh. Scary? Not.

36. ps. I don’t think ‘@Denise’ was talking to him or herself.

37. The Deal says:

Mad Dad, one significant correction to your post. Smoke Rise Charter is a CONVERSION charter, not a start-up charter. Conversion charters have a lot less flexibility than start-ups, so any problems you are seeing in a conversation will be pretty similar to those in the regular public schools. Your complaints about Museum school are also moot, since the requirement they were violating (no entrance requirements) was not allowed. They could not open until they resolved it. The same would happen with any other charter.

I don’t know anything about ALEC. Sounds like a red herring, but I’ll do my own research.

38. guest says:

I don’t believe anyone here is against charters DSW, only against amending the constitution to allow privately run public schools/state charters when the state is run by ALEC flunkies who only involve themselves in politics to make sure the money flows into the proper hands.
    It is unfair to call people who understand this pattern, and yes it is a nationwide pattern, paranoid and or against charters. That is either naive or intentionally dismissive, neither of which is what I thought this blog was about.

39. Ned says:

I’m still not sure how to vote on this amendment–I’m very pro-charter, but am wary (at best) of anything coming from the Gold Dome.
    One point I would like to make: Moderator, you have a tough job and you do it well, but please drop the “taxation without representation” nonsense. You have elected representatives on the Board. They get outvoted. This is not the same as having NO representative. Being in the minority in a representative body is not the same as not being represented.

40. DeKalb Inside Out says:

Denise.
    Challenging me to a bet? I’m in! We have this so far:
    * HR 1162 is Bigger than anyone can ever imagine
    * [HR 1162] is NOT about what is in the best interest of all children
    Please lay down the rest of the framework of the bet. You also said I would have to end up honoring it, so be sure to let me know what ‘it’ is.