Kingsley Charter School (a conversion charter elementary school) won a competitive, national nomination to The Clorox Company’s Power A Bright Future grant program. As school budgets nationwide continue to shrink, The Clorox Company’s Power A Bright Future grant program will help fund new or ongoing programs that allow children to play, create and explore.
Kingsley is in Clorox’s Explore category and it plans to use this grant funding to purchase iPads for its students. Whether you think iPads belong in the classroom or not, wouldn’t you like for iPads to be tried out with real children in a successful school setting before another overpriced friends-and-family consultant is hired to “inform” a system-wide purchase decision?
For the record — DeKalb School Watch sees many benefits in students using iPads. The most compelling reason is that students who are slow readers have an opportunity to work on their reading skills without being embarrassed by a book cover that practically shouts out their deficiency. Running a close second are the benefits derived from having all textbooks loaded on the iPad, eliminating those heavy, cumbersome book bags and backpacks. Third, wherever they are, students with textbooks and other educational materials loaded on their iPads are prepared to make good use of their time by studying and/or doing textbook-related assignments on their iPad.
But, don’t just take our word for it. Read Kingsley’s case statement here.
The nominee that receives the highest number of votes will be awarded the $50,000 grand-prize grant, and the next top vote-getters in the Play, Create and Explore categories respectively will each be awarded a $25,000 grant. Clorox’s judging panel, will select three additional lucky schools, one in each category, to win a $25,000 judge’s choice grant.
Now, you have the opportunity to help Kingsley win up to $50,000! Kingsley may be one of only seven schools nationwide to win a grant, and you can help push Kingsley to the top. Here’s how:
1. Text to vote (message and data rates may apply). Set your cell phone to remind you to vote.
- To vote for Kingsley text 1913pbf to 95248
- Vote once (1) a day, every day, through December 19, 2012!
- Spread the word!
2. Vote online. Set Outlook or your on-line calendar to remind you to vote.
- Log onto Kingsley’s voting link [https://powerabrightfuture.clorox.com/nominees/detail/?nid=1913]
- Vote once (1) a day, every day through December 19, 2012!
- Spread the word!
You can also help with simple acts like:
- Posting on Facebook to encourage your friends and family to vote.
- Tweeting the link to our voting page so your followers can vote.
- Sending an email to your family and friends, letting them know the great news and telling them how to vote!
Please cut-and-paste this information into an e-mail and invite your family, friends and colleagues to spread the word and help bring additional resources to Kingsley students.
Information below provided by Stephenson Community Council:
From Stephenson Community Council, Inc.
and Third Annual Holiday BazaarDATE: Thursday, December 13, 2012
houses the entry to the auditorium.
$15.00 = 1/2 table