Looking for work? Jobs galore: Available at DeKalb Schools’ PATS website

NowHiringFor those seeking employment: Please check the jobs board at DeKalb County Schools! There are currently 475 jobs posted! Many of them were posted as recently as yesterday!

Click here:

DeKalb County Schools Jobs Available: PATS online application

The available jobs run the gambit from about 20 openings in food service to several in accounting to 15 assistant principals (weren’t APs part of the last round of budget cuts?), to bus drivers, clerks, coaches, coordinators, counselors (20), custodians (15), director of communication (again!?) and a communications specialist, director of core instruction (!), executive assistants, landscapers, locksmith, managers, nurses, parapros (27 regular, 1 sub and 22 pre-K), principals (6 total: 3 are current openings, and 3 of them are for “future” employment – salary range is $82,938.89 to $108,824.05 – nice!), secretaries, social workers, supervisors and teachers (Over 200 total, of which 22 are art teachers, 32 interrelated, 8 kindergarten, 5 hearing impaired, 10 pre-k, 18 math, and 12 Spanish).

Spread the word! We need these jobs filled with highly qualified people! School starts in about one month — time’s a wastin’!! DeKalb HR department has their hands full – please help out by sending the very best applicant you know (that may even be you!)

This entry was posted in DeKalb County [GA] Board of Education and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Looking for work? Jobs galore: Available at DeKalb Schools’ PATS website

1. It’s a little concerning that the school system has cut back on their summer hours – hopefully they will exempt HR since there is so much work to do —

**DCSD Summer Hours**
    Monday – Thursday 8am – 6pm
    Closed Fridays through July 26th

2. Just Saying says:

Dealing with HR or our Certification Division is not a good experience. This does not reflect all of the jobs that are open. We lost a lot of great people in the HR department. There is no such thing as customer service.in that dept. Why are we never asked to rate our experience with the HR department or staff services dept?

We need to get attention focused on the HR Dept. and start asking why teachers are treated so poorly when they have to have contact. It is an outrage that from secretaries to the top positions in HR and all other governmental depts. in the system the ordinary teacher or administrator is treated like *^#@! Simple courtesy is a must! We need to make a list of inappropriate things that come out of there: I’ll start it off with the day I questioned the top positions and asked why we were not hiring teachers but using subs. This was from the first of the year last year until the end. I was told in so many words to kiss off, that the budget was the primary and only reason for using subs. At first, I was told only subs certified in the field needed would be used, but it d got down and dirty there even in March. I was also told I could look into the clerical sub positions and even the custodian and food service positions. Now, all of those position are worthy of respect, but I happen to have a specialist degree in an academic subject and a specialist degree in school administration and am a retiree of DeKalb County. WHY was such a (*&^&^% thing said to me who was looking for work teaching? That is the level of communication most mere mortals have with HR! They all need to go.

4. Dr. DeKalb says:

You just described HR Departments for most major corporations across America. Sorry, but HR has a job to do and it is not to answer disrespectful questions being asked by employees, mere mortals or otherwise. Not saying you are wrong to expect simple courtesy, but just need to point out that this is certainally a skill that could be brushed up on by many people at all levels of the system. (To quote you, “all of these positions are worthy of respect). Heck, even on this blog! Please try to project what you hope to get back in return and maybe that will help.

5. SRO says:

So many people are leaving…its not funny

6. SRO says:

Thank you but NO THANK YOU!

7. SRO says:

Just remember people..Dr. Beasley said..”There isn’t an I in Team but there’s a U in unemployment”….

8. There may not be an “I” in team, but there ‘is’ a ME!

9. Dekalbite2 says:

It seems obvious that there is an enormous problem for our students when so many teachers and para professionals, in other words the very people who deliver content, are leaving our school system in such numbers.

10. firstgradeteacher says:

I am afraid it is going to get worse before it gets better. It is a slap in the face to the teachers of the school system, when there is “money found” and we are still getting 5 furlough days vs. six. DeKalb County is no longer competitive with other counties and in the end the kids are not given the best educational opportunities by having “highly qualified” teachers.

11. Confused Former Teacher says:

What’s really going on in Dekalb, teachers on the news, people leaving, maybe we should work to keep the good ones there. Give them some incentives.

12. Another concern for us is that many of these jobs were budget cuts not all too long ago — remember? They cut 200 parapros and lots of Asst. Principals as well as many others… Now, the question becomes, have more quit or are we simply replacing those that were riffed a year or two ago?

13. Also, @ Dr. DeKalb: Not sure where you’ve had the displeasure of working, but I have worked at or with quite a few large corporations and the HR staff is unbelievably helpful. They answer any and all of our questions and all seem to be quite hard-working and professional. That’s not an easy job with healthcare and everything these days. I’m sorry that you think all questions asked of HR staff are somehow ‘rude’… But it really isn’t so in the many situations I’ve seen.

That said, with the high level of ‘riffs’ and people let go from DCSS due to budget cuts, certainly HR staff had to deal with some very (rightly) upset people. We would hope the HR staff could find a way to be kind – these people’s lives were turned upside down by an out of control, mismanaged budget – through no fault of their own. Further, we are told that even the HR staff was cut back – certainly that would have been at the clerk level, since DCSS seems to find it a better idea to rif two or three low-paid staff in order to keep one high-paid staff person.

We don’t yet have access to the salary report for 2013 – but we’re betting that teachers could quite possibly now be outnumbered by 2 or 3 to 1. We’ll be watching for that report to come out and will let you all know.

14. dekalbite2 says:

@DSW
    Since the class sizes have not changed, mathematically it would appear that those 1,000 teaching positions that were eliminated (higher class sizes mean less teaching positions) are not being replaced. Rather it would appear that DCSS teachers are leaving in unheard of numbers. Regarding para pros, that’s an interesting question.

Mr. Thurmond and all superintendents should be measured on their ability to keep teacher attrition low. Studies have shown that teacher turnover is especially detrimental to the the student achievement of low income students. Some states require school systems to publish their turnover percent by years of experience – e.g. What percent of teachers with 0-1 year experience leave, what percent of teachers with 1-3 years of experience leave, what percent of teachers with 3-5 years of experience leave, what percent of teachers with 5-10 years of experience leave, and so forth.

Obviously, DeKalb has had an enormous teacher attrition problem for many years since Lewis, Tyson and Atkinson could eliminate hundreds of teaching positions a year and not lay off teachers (they just didn’t replace them – which has the same deleterious effect on students).

Teacher turnover such as this allows DeKalb to hire the least experienced teachers. These teachers teach for a few years and then move on to better, higher paying school systems.

Our property taxes were always high because we spent those revenues on paying our teachers over and above the state funded teacher pay schedule (aka Local Supplement). That local supplement was taken away during the recession and the funding used to pay that local supplement (basically most of our property taxes – that was always the rationale for property taxes) was diverted to everything but teachers even as the property taxes increased. This was not fiscally responsible for students since using the property tax to pay supplements meant DeKalb could attract and retain highly qualified and experienced teacher. This was not fiscally responsible for taxpayers since the rationale for high property taxes was to give teachers higher supplements so we could attract and retain the best teachers (until Lewis took the helm, DCSS was the highest paying or near the highest paying system in Georgia). So now we are stuck with high property taxes, low pay for teachers and a overstaffed non teaching group (that group has experienced little attrition and many have been moved I to categories created to give them higher pay).

15. NOTICE FOR STUDENTS: From “On Common Ground News”…

STONE MOUNTAIN–The Be Someone Training Center, 949 Stephenson Road, is offering scholarships to eligible families to send their child or children to summer chess camp.

The camp, which offers leadership training through the game of chess along with a variety of daily activities, will run for three more weeks: July 15–Aug. 2. The camp is open to children ages 7 and up.

“We’ve got to change the game. Life is chess –not checkers. The difference between a successful school and one that is not is chess,” said Orrin Hudson, founder of Be Someone Inc.

Lunch is provided daily. Hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., with early drop-off and late pickup available. To find out if your family meets scholarship eligibility requirements, call the center at 770-465-6445.

Read more >> http://ocgnews.com/index.php/home/2155-leadership-chess-camp-in-stone-mountain-offers-free-slots

16. hopespringseternal says:

I could be wrong about this, but I once read that for a teacher to get really immersed in the art of teaching, it takes about three school years. So I’d like to know how many of those leaving in droves are teachers with between one and three years experience. If we tally the investment into new teachers and they leave before three years, it is like watching massive amounts of money walk out the door. Harmful to students, debilitating to budgets with a compounding effect. This is why most organizations place an emphasis in retention after recruitment, something I’m not sure happens here. In fact, I’ve seen new teachers thrown into hostile work environments, complete with giving them the worst classes — and there is definitely a food chain of better-to-worse class assignments. For what it’s worth it happens in districts across the country, to include my oldest son when he taught in a school system in another state. From a pure budgetary perspective, I would do everything I could to prevent a 3 year or less investment walking out the door, because then I’ll have to invest again – with little return to show for it.

There are so many urgent issues, I’m not sure which fire is being targeted to put out first. Or if they even know Rome is burning.

Unfortunately, Hope, you and many others like you, many of whom are regular posters here, are not in the decision-making process; in fact, we are dealing with the dregs of DeKalb County ten, fifteen, and more years in the making. I believe Rome has done burnt down! Yet we get a poster saying it’s not hr’s job to treat teachers and other staff with respect. So, you can drive over to the Palace and get on the payroll, which I suspect you already are. Shame on you for not supporting the teachers and others who work with teachers. There’s no way you could have had any interaction with hr without being put down and downright offended.

18. Serta says:

We definitely need new people over HR – real professionals.

19. Goodbye, Dekalb says:

I spoke to someone at the school level recently who “hired” a teacher and referred that person to HR to be processed. The new hire could not proceed to HR to fill out paperwork, obtain info on background check requirements and so on–which is how most organizations handle things. Rather, HR said, “We will contact you when it’s time for you to come in.” After two weeks and a couple of unproductive calls to HR, the teacher accepted a job elsewhere.
    Yes, I know that the HR folks are busy, but they knew that they would be. If someone (or a couple of someones) must be pulled from another department to process new hires–make hiring a priority! The prospective employee cannot wait for that job to be secured when another system is able to issue a contract within a couple of days.

20. Concerned DeKalb Mom says:

I’ve heard similar stories to that of Goodbye, DeKalb…if HR can’t follow through on a principal’s recommendation for a hire in a timely fashion, especially a recommendation for a classroom teacher hire, then schools in DCSS are in more trouble than everyone realizes.

I’d also like to add…I truly believe that the # of teachers who have left the county has been vastly underreported by HR. I don’t know if that’s due to not really knowing the numbers, not having the resources to accurately report the numbers, or willfully choosing to underreport…but there are personnel in my children’s school who have left and have not been accounted for in any HR report that I’ve read.

21. All, and I mean ALL good teaching prospects are now under contract. Only those passed over and desperate are still looking for contracts this time of the year. Dekalb’s pool of potential teaching hires are the dregs. There may be a very few exceptions. Instruction in Dekalb over the next few years will be woeful.

22. Around the water cooler says:

Add my job to the listings. After 30+ years, I left. Loved, loved, loved my students and their families, hated what my “job” had become. Was costing too much (financially & mentally) to stay.

23. Goodbye, Dekalb says:

Concerned Dekalb Mom–I believe that you are correct that the attrition numbers were incorrectly reported. I resigned but was told to sign a contract anyway–that I would have until June to change my mind. Perhaps this tactic–which a lot of folks agreed to in a “why the heck not” spirit–allowed the system to use the number of teachers who renewed their contracts as their “data.”

I refused to sign, as I didn’t want to be part of their charade. Again–too much focus on appearances and not enough on getting the job done.

24. d says:

Teachers had until June 1 to get out of the contract that they signed for the 13-14 year. I wonder how many did. Also, the county proudly reported that 93% of teachers did accept their contracts, but 7% leaving sounds rather high to me – and no one could find out how large that number was in neighboring counties (I suspect about 3-4%). Finally, I have reasons beyond a paycheck to stay in DeKalb for the time being, but why would I recommend anyone come here since we have no Social Security or alternative to that and pay right at the state minimum? Heck, I could go work in Rockdale for about $5,000 more than I’m making right now, but I do have other obligations that prevent me from looking elsewhere for at least a few more years.

25. mike p says:

Good day all. I am a teacher in the DeKalb County School System. Yes, I have had my fair share of frustrations – class size (way too large), retirement (not) funding issues, step (not) increases, funding for the classroom (we need more!), frustrations with software, etc., but today I had a very good interaction with HR/Staff Development. The phone call I made was answered promptly and courteously. My question was addressed thoroughly. Of course, once I hung up the phone, I remembered something else. I called again. I am pleased to report I was again responded to with courtesy, and my question answered thoroughly (and kindly). At times, I want to go with my assumption that things will go wrong when interacting with the system. However, over the years and for the most part, my interactions with the system on a personal level have been good. Mostly, I try to remember that there are real people on the other end of the line, and my hunch is that they are frustrated too. Be well all.

26. Achelous says:

Each time I have dealt with Certification or HR, they have been decent. Sometimes very helpful, sometimes kindly BSing me, but always decent.

There are still good teachers out there. Plenty of them. They may not be the most experienced, but they are there. Unfortunately, many of our retirees are choosing to come back and take some of the spots that would garner a great new teacher, leaving only a half time spot available. Personally, if you have retired and wish to come back half time, you should be placed at a challenging school. If we used these experienced teachers that are only working a half day to cover teaching positions that a relatively inexperienced teacher would struggle with in a full time position, we would put ourselves in a much better place scholastically.

27. AParent says:

I am not really seeing where there is a huge crisis. Am I missing something? At the local high school there are four jobs listed (secretary, counselor, french teacher, interrelated teacher). At our elementary school, there is one job listed. This doesn’t seem so unreasonable. I am a lot more upset about some of the other shenanigans going on at DCSS than the fact that there are still positions that need to be hired on.

28. AParent says:

To clarify, the above comment was not intended to speak to the competency of the HR department. I don’t have any experience with them, as I am just a parent. My only point is that it doesn’t seem to me that there are an alarming number of vacancies at the local schools.

29. Tired Mom says:

AParent…it won’t be a huge crisis if your child is placed in classes where experienced teachers are teaching. If your child is placed in a classroom without a teacher…and many throughout the county will be (there are block scheduled HS students who often do not receive a teacher–or receive 3 or 4–within the first 3 weeks of school).

30. Tired Mom says:

…oops, didn’t finish the comment.
    If your child is placed in that classroom without a teacher or with an extremely inexperienced teacher overseeing potentially 30+ students…well, the definition of crisis may change.

31. AParent says:

@ Tired Mom. Yeah, I get that. I mean, really, only one of these missing positions is a lead teacher. So, if the position is not filled by Aug. 12, you are correct, about 90 kids will head into their first week of school with 1/4th of their day spent with just a sub for that class.

Of course, this happens a lot anyway, even when there is no open position. (For example, when a teacher takes a few weeks paternity leave when his wife has a baby. They get a sub for a few weeks. It’s tough when it’s a block schedule because that’s a big part of the course, but that is what happens).

I guess I’m just saying that between these two schools, which educate 2000+ students, the fact that they need to find one lead teacher, one interrelated teacher, a secretary, and a counselor in the next 3-4 weeks does not seem like an enormous crisis. Seems doable. That is about the kind of situation I would expect at this point in the game.

If you told me they needed to hire 20 teachers… that would be more like a crisis.

32. Tired Mom says:

OK…then let’s put it a different way.

MLK High School…needs 2 Assistant Principals and 7 academic teachers.
    McNair High School…needs 9 academic teachers.

I imagine your children are not attending either of those schools.

DeKalb County as a whole needs 18 high school math teachers and 11 high school science teachers across the board.

While yes, some schools are perfectly fine and have no need to worry, others have A LOT to be concerned about.

Truly, we are in a horrible situation with all these teaching positions and many other key jobs, like custodians and lunchroom personnel, not being filled. McNair Middle and McNair High and Towers, and MLK, and others are just out of luck in every way; these schools are not in charge of student progress. They are not in charge of any thing; most cannot even fill principals’ and assistant principals’ slots. Who is available to run these schools? Supt Thurmond, why not you if you’re all you think you are? Put someone who is capable of helping students and teachers! But, who do you put in charge? Mr. Simpson of Title I fame. It’s worse than awkward; it’s unthinkable!To those of you who think it’s OK that all these positions are not being filled, I feel sorry for our students that you are so uninformed. If you looked a few years ago when a lot of these people who are principals and higher now at the list of likely candidates for school leadership, you would have to shudder. If a mere name makes you nervous and angry, what about the teachers and students? A note to HR: I know how busy you are (for many, many, too many years that’s always your excuse) for not employing good people but please one of you rise to the situation and make some decisions. If you need help, there are great resources right here in DeKalb who are willing to help. It would surely help your image if you got some good folks to come help you staff these schools. Why do you not take advantage of willing help? Is there a reason? What about the children???? Caring would go a long way to establishing our school system as a serious competitor. As is, DeKalb Schools are one huge mess that must be forced to perform. Do something! We are in a crisis, and it bothers me so much to see no progress being made. LOOK AT THE LIST OF OPEN POSITIONS, PLUS YOU KNOW THERE ARE MANY MORE YOU ARE NOT REPORTING!

34. hello says:

Why are there so many vacancies at some schools while other schools have so few?

35. concernedmom30329 says:

It looks like they have restructured at a few schools Ie Towers and McNair. And are eliminating whole departments and are starting fresh.

However, A Parent, not all positions are being posted. Our local high school, which may be the same as yours, actually has 15 new teachers starting the Fall. All these positions were not posted.

Hr and the supt. need to get together and show some respect for the system that employs them. It seems they need reminding that they are not what it’s all about – or they shouldn’t be. Show some honesty and let us know what positions are really available, where, and what is this about restructuring? Very interesting, concernedmom30329 – can you go to someone to report this? This is fraud, at least. We’re looking at multiple millions of dollars from “the budget.” The information from hr and the supt’s office has got to be the truth. I’m not feeling we’re getting the truth, so someone will have to do something, I believe.

Thank you for your question, and it’s a good one. There are bad schools and there are some good schools; teachers and other employees do not like working in some of the notorious schools, so they have lots more vacancies. But remember we are not being given the whole picture by hr or the supt. They are hiding many vacant slots due to just this: if it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, it must be a rat. I wish it weren’t so.

38. dedicated teacher says:

@concernedmom30329

Just FYI those departments (teachers) were not eliminated at Towers in effort to restructure; teachers quit under the leadership of Atkinson’s North Carolinian cronies which provided the platform for both new administration and reformation of all departments. Over 20 teachers left; however, it appears that Dr. Simpson has replaced most of those teachers (based on PATS).

39. SRO says:

Dr. Simpson can just staff his school with his fraternity brothers and sisters again if they cant find quality candidates….A HOT MESS!

Thanks for the information. Who is going to stop Thurmond? I would have thought Simpson was out of friends but apparently it’s OK in DeKalb to be a common thief!