Something doesn’t match up with the school calendars

Take a look at the reporting date calendar for teachers below. (Click the photos to view a larger version.)

2013-2014-Reporting-Dates

The last day for teachers is Wednesday May 21.

Now, take a look at the calendar on the Dekalb website. It states that students report until May 23.

2013-2014-Modified-Traditional-Calendar-4.1

Who will be monitoring all those classrooms? Who will fix the lunches? In fact, since the bus drivers last day is May 20, who will drive them to school May 21, 22 and 23?

Really, all kidding aside, when is the last day for students?

UPDATE::: The school system has posted an updated calendar. Click below to view it:

REVISED-2013-2014-Calendar---Modified-Traditional-Calendar

This entry was posted in DeKalb County [GA] Board of Education, DeKalb County, Georgia, Education in the South, Georgia Education, School Calendar, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Something doesn’t match up with the school calendars

1. H.A. Hurley says:

Since we have so many board scenarios and so many superintendents running things, yet, no one’s truly paying attention to all the details. Lots of moving parts are difficult to monitor and correct when staff is constantly being moved, quit, fired or not doing their job. Here we are!

Exactly, H. A.! Well said. The system is out of control because we have the top layer so busy BSing and lying and hiding that mere details like the running of school for the last three days are absolutely of no interest! Nothing works.

3. Fed up teacher says:

It’s no wonder that our school had 27 people leave this year. Next year I’m out!

Dear Fed Up Teacher – have you reported this fact to the supt? You know, he says he doesn’t read this site. Well, he’d better if he wants input about the real deal. But, then again, I don’t think he wants any input. He’s busy scrambling things around with an incompetent staff!

5. Fed up teacher says:

For him (the supt) and other court members at the palace, Denile is a river in Eqypt.

6. Concernedmom30329 says:

It is the 20th. Principals were just notified on Tuesday. It is the calendar that was approved a few weeks ago to include the furlough days.
    I guess (and that is probably not a good thing) that what happens is the calendar committee is optimistic and plan for X days and then when financial reality sets in at budget time, an adjustment is needed so we get W days.

7. It could be a good idea for the school system webmasters to update their online calendar to coordinate with the decisions made by the super and the board in a timely fashion. One of the SACS requirements is good communication.

8. This and That says:

Wow! I did not catch that one! We have always had at least one day for post planning (teachers). The last few years 3 days of post planning was on the calendar. So what is the school ending date for 2013-2014? Will school be ending even earlier?

9. idabelle25 says:

@fedupteacher
    You are exactly right. I, myself am seriously considering leaving. I know people may have different reasons for leaving but for many of us, it is simply not affordae anymore. I am in my late 30’s and have been teaching since my early 20’s. I have picked up extra degrees and certifications along the way because of my love of my craft and I have been told by other teachers, parents, administrators and most importantly students that I am a good teacher with proven academic success of my students but with no step increase in years and limited possibilities of monetary growth through promotion and we are not corporate America so we don’t get raises based on performance but remember the idea of paying based on our kid’s progress well guess what we are still required to do all of the paperwork for it that involves hours of testing and filling out forms but we won’t get the raises after all for the results. Those great benefits we get. Not any more , I pay all of my insurance now and I have to call HR because I think I am being over charged.It is depressing but yet we work hard for our kids every day. We were told for the past few years just shut up and be glad that you have a job and that is probably true but now the economy is picking up teachers who are not obligated for other reasons like children or convience or maybe they have a spouse that can pick up the slack will leave for survival reasons and for those who say well you don’t work summers and you have banking hours well the banking hours or a joke if u r a good teacher And ever since I have been a teacher I have worked 1 to 2 extra jobs amd 90% of my summers. To my doctor and engineer friends my choice to stay with this county doesn’t even make since anymore. We just wait around and wait for the next thing they take away from us as we get extra kids In the class and countless hours of extra beaurecratic paperwork that no one will look at when we need to be planning creative lesson plans and teaching. You want to help your school Dekalb County Parents fight for your teachers because you see we are too buried in paperwork and extra jobs to fight for ourselves and that is why we are leaving.

10. idabelle25 says:

Sorry for the typos

Affordable
    Homonym sense not since

After all I am a professional and I wouldn’t want someone to have an excuse to undermine anything I have written (smile.)
    God bless and Thank you for this forum.

11. teacher says:

I must be the only teacher who needs work days, especially as my class loads have increased each year.

Because SACS cited the delay in posting grades to ESIS, one would have thought the many generously compensated executive directors, directors, or ______ superintendents would’ve built some into the calendar. In the fifteen + years I’ve been teaching in Dekalb, I’ve never seen all 5 pre-planning days well spent.

Does anyone know when the calendar was finally put on-line? I’d been checking periodically, so I could plan for next year, but it wasn’t there. This teacher sees no legitimate reason for the continued practice of publishing incorrect information. Seriously, how difficult is it to proofread (first and last day of school at once) or check with someone?

12. We’re thinking the latest communication department is once again, gone. No updated news. Not a tweet for over 2 weeks… No news. No info. No public communication whatsoever.

13. Well, there’s this:

DeKalb County School District

Invites you to Attend
    a Parent Meeting
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013
    5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Join us to discuss plans for the
    Consolidated Application Funding
    & ESEA Flexible Learning Program

Topics to be discussed include the following:
    Federal Funding Plans & Priorities
    Review of Funding & Funding Restrictions
    DeKalb County School District
    Administration and Instructional Complex
    Auditorium
    1701 Mountain Industrial Blvd.
    Stone Mountain, GA 30083

Please confirm your attendance by contacting
    Karen Ealey
    in the Office of Federal Programs
    at 678-676-0188 by Monday, July 22, 2013.

14. d says:

If you look in the Board packet for the July meeting, you will see the new calendar – Teachers will have one furlough in October and 4 in May – and we will have 177 student contact days like we did in 12-13.

15. This and That says:

Thank you for the link! According to the revised calendar the last day of school will be May 20 (Tuesday).

16. teachermom says:

@dsw
    I think I saw a listing on PATS for a communications director.

17. bettyandveronica1 says:

177 days??? cmon!

It’s really very funny – communications director!!

19. As we understand it, Jeff Dickerson is still on the payroll. We’re not sure he’s actually doing anything though. Except maybe, defending the school system on that Sunday morning TV show. …. lol.

20. They apparently have no one in the communications dept anymore. The DCSS Facebook page’s last post and the last tweets were July 3. School starts in about 2 weeks and there has been no communication whatsoever.