Tucker’s BriarLake, GA

How’s that for a compromise?

We at DeKalb School Watch are less interested in political nitpicking than we are in seeing successful new cities rise from the smoking ruins of a corrupt and failing DeKalb County [GA] government and school system.

Successful new cities will build successful new independent school systems.

Successful new cities will attract new businesses, new residents and economic growth.

To achieve that, however, everyone involved is going to have to pull up their big kid panties and remember what you learned in kindergarten.  Collaborate, cooperate and compromise.  No more bullying.  No more stamping your foot and declaring, “My way or the highway!”

Have you considered getting an uninvolved facilitator?

DeKalb County (government and school system) doesn’t want you to create your own city.  It means less money and less power for the corrupt.  Instead of fighting you, though, they will let you fight each other.  If you can’t find a way to collaborate, cooperate and compromise, you will lose and they will win.  Do you really want that?

Meanwhile, current cities in DeKalb — including the new cities of Dunwoody and Brookhaven —  will reap the benefits of better schools which will, in turn attract new businesses, new residents and economic growth.

For this reason, we have made an editorial decision.  To discourage the petty and selfish infighting, we will no longer print anything about creating new cities in the Briarcliff, Lakeside, Tucker and Druid Hills areas.

Do let us know, though, when you reach a compromise decision that most everyone can get behind.  If we can confirm agreement among all parties involved, we will definitely print that.

All abooooooard!

This entry was posted in GA Legislature / Laws / O.C.G.A., Georgia Independent Schools, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Tucker’s BriarLake, GA

1. concernedmome30329 says:

love the name!

2. ursokm16 says:

Good decision–the compromise suggestion is a good one too.

3. TracyW says:

Seems kind of silly not to continue to cover it, now that it’s in the hands of the legislature and there is not a dang thing that anyone else can do until the legislature passes a bill or bills. Please cover the details coming out of the legislature! It has past infighting other than that. 😦

4. howdy1942 says:

This issue is about to be resolved. The Lakeside bill is sponsored by a Republican, has now passed a Republican-majority Committee, and will be voted on by a Republican supermajority in the Senate. That bill will then move to the House which is, by far, controlled by Republicans. And then it will move to a Republican Governor for signature. One reality that I have reluctantly come to accept is that the cities of Briarcliff and Tucker are dead, done – at least for this year. They have no Republican sponsorship, only that of Democrats. Dekalb County is about to become much poorer, much more “minority”, and its government is about to face even more dire financial straits.

@DSW – I think that there have been talks, but the truth is that Lakeside has no incentive to talk when it appears to have the raw power to force its map, now expanded, through the Legislature. Perhaps there will be renewed efforts and interest in a combined Briarcliff and Tucker city, but that remains to be seen. Just as has happened in Brookhaven, I would suspect that existing and new cities would move to annex “attractive” (meaning financially attractive) parts of unincorporated Dekalb County. And, unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing that Dekalb County can do about that – it will be at the mercy of those who will be voting in those areas to be annexed.

5. midvaledad says:

Howdy is right. There was an offer to mediate a compromise, but Lakeside City refused to participate. They don’t want to compromise.

For them it is “my way or we will steal your park and add you to our map.”

Can someone tell me what Lakeside City’s community of interest is?

6. @TracyW: We will certainly post the progress and news about the City of Lakeside, but we just can’t waste energy trying to discuss it. It’s a distraction from our conversation about schools. We do agree, though, that if a city would like to take over their schools and run their own system, we are all for it. As has been stated, for Lakeside, it looks like a done deal – and there will be no compromising with the people of Tucker or the proposed Briarcliff. Too bad. It’s something to ‘watch’ – even something to behold.

7. ursokm16 says:

Plenty of coverage on other websites like the Patch. Its a distraction here.

8. thedeal2 says:

I’m fine with it not being a major topic on here until it is proven that it will impact school issues.

9. Miss Management says:

Is it just me or does the shape of the City of Lakeside look a lot like the female reproductive system?

Check it out!

Revised City of Lakeside Map

10. howdy1942 says:

@midvaledad poses a great question. I want to attempt to provide an answer. I went to the town hall meeting sponsored by Representative Scott Holcomb where he limited the speakers to those who lived in the overlapping areas. Of the 31 speakers, 19 wanted to be a part of Tucker, 8 wanted to be a part of Lakeside, and 4 wanted to remain a part of unincorporated Dekalb County. That was before the new expanded map included in Senator Millar’s legislation, so I don’t know how the folks in the new area feel. As you know, that expanded area in the Lakeside map reaches to within 60 feet of Tucker High School. I really, really don’t like what this is doing to our community and to our beloved Tucker. Since I’ve been a part of it, countless numbers of us have beautified Henderson Park and cleaned up the grassed areas of Northlake Mall. All Tucker. And I don’t recall a State Legislature taking sides in an intra-County and imposing one solution without insisting or at least mediation or compromise.

But the cityhood issue will have a big impact on schools. Does anyone really think that a Lakeside city will stop and be satisfied with just being a city? I doubt that. It will join Dunwoody and Brookhaven to amend the Georgia Constitution and we have an overwhelming Republican Senate (filibuster proof, I might add) and an overwhelming Republican House and a Republican Governor. I think that the vote to amend the Georgia Constitution will happen.

Now think about the impact of losing Dunwoody, Brookhaven, and Lakeside school taxes. Yes, Dekalb would no longer be responsible for those schools, but I would expect the school taxes available to Dekalb would be cut at least in half. What happens then to the remaining Dekalb School System? Class sizes going to 35+? Neglected capital improvements or repairs?

11. howdy1942 says:

@midvaleday – I left out one important observation – of those 8 speakers at Rep. Holcomb’s town hall meeting that spoke in favor of Lakeside, 6 cited the school feeder system as their main concern. At present, the feeder systems will not be impacted by any city formation in Dekalb County, but the important point here is that schools are at the very heart of this cityhood movement. That is not included in any public statements by any of the three, but it is the elephant in the room. That’s why city formation cannot be separated from schools.

12. ursokm16 says:

That is what my original question asking why the ciythood news was being presented here in the first article. I knew the answer that you just gave–both parts. It can’t be separated–and none of the sales people will admit that’s what its all about. So the movement here is based on something that has never been a reason for cityhood from Sandy Springs to Brookhaven. Why not tell the truth–its based on a lie, everyone can feel that even if they can’t articulate it–and therefore the lie becomes an issue of trust with the sales people…and the legislators.

13. We agree howdy. No matter how much the Lakeside Alliance insists this has nothing to do with the schools, we think it has a LOT to do with the schools. I would imagine that those in the overlap in favor of the City of Lakeside over Tucker, have students attending or poised to attend Lakeside HS. But that’s just a guess.

14. Dekalbite2 says:

@howdy42
    “This whole cityhood thing ought to be a big, big concern to the Dekalb County School System. I can’t think of a single issue that would have a bigger impact on the DCSS. While I don’t often agree with Steen Miles, I do agree with her that unless Dekalb County gets a grip on its many issues in the school system and in the County government, it will be a vast wasteland.”

This is what happens when the old “Family and Friends” group hires their pick for superintendent and then he keeps all of Crawford Lewis’s old crew. They simply can’t believe that things can ever change since they have been used to the politics of power. For them it has always been about who has the power – never about students. It’s all about relationships and never about merit and competence. The personnel managing the instruction of students have only a few years of teaching experience in their background. Look at their backgrounds to see how little time they have spent in the classroom and in instruction of students while they make critical academic decisions for students and teachers in the classroom.

It is no wonder areas in DeKalb want to form cities and are hoping this Constitutional amendment passes. It is sad for students all over DeKalb that this has come to pass because a competent superintendent beholden to no special interest group was not hired. The entire BOE should have been removed, the superintendent should have been picked by the new BOE and the Crawford Lewis crew that brought student achievement in DeKalb to historic lows should have been replaced. It is beyond obvious that Mr. Thurmond was hired to keep the “Friends and Family” plan in place.

The current structure will not “get a grip” on it’s many issues because that would entail placing merit and competence above relationships and changing the paradigm from “who has the power” to ensuring students are empowered for academic success.

15. @ursokm16: Isn’t it interesting that Fran Millar did not drop the original Dunwoody bill and would not support that effort publicly – even though he lives in Dunwoody – yet he took the lead and dropped this Lakeside City bill. So, what’s that about do you suppose?

16. Marsha says:

I think Fran Millar sees momentum-and a chance to become a bigger power broker, especially in regards to what we all seem to see coming: a proposed amendment to the GA constitution that would allow more city schools. I have to say I’m in two minds about it. On the one hand, I totally empathize with parents who want to have more control over their child’s education, especially when they fear that a good neighborhood high school (and its feeder schools) could be ruined by the continuing corruption by the county. On the other hand, having so many systems will result in the children in each city system having fewer choices-they’ll have their local school, be it wonderful or terrible, and that will be all. I’m not sure that’s the best solution to what are admittedly seemingly intractable corruption at the county level.

17. howdy1942 says:

@DSW – Yes, the Lakeside City Alliance is all about schools, but you would never get anyone in the Alliance to say that specifically. There have been so many iterations of the LCA map that it has become crystal clear – there is no clear demarcation of any Lakeside city. Try typing “Lakeside” into Google and see what comes up. Do the same for Tucker and see what comes up. There is a Briarcliff Village, Briarcliff Baptist Church, and probably many other entities that bear the “Briarcliff” name. Other than Lakeside High School, I know of nothing that bears the “Lakeside” name.

@DSW – I’ve wondered the same thing and had the same question. Senator Millar lives in Dunwoody, not Lakeside, not Tucker, and not Briarcliff. Why, then, did he drop this bill and why has he been so passionate in guiding it through the Senate. I would have thought that Senator Steve Henson ought to have done that. At a minimum, it just seems to me like Senator Millar is encroaching onto Senator Henson’s turf. But then again, there may have been some kind of tacit deal between the two so Senator Henson would not have had to take a position. Under normal circumstances, I would have thought that Senator Henson would have made it very clear to Senator Millar to “butt out”.

@Marsha – you are very correct. I remember how mad I got when “the powers that be” wanted to bus my oldest daughter from an elementary school that was just 100 yards from our front door to one that was over 6 miles away. When I had finished speaking at a public forum, the chairman said the obvious “I take it that you really don’t like this proposal”. He was right! I also have great empathy with the parents not only in Lakeside, but in Tucker, Briarcliff, Druid Hills, Dunwoody, Brookhaven – and everywhere in Dekalb who realize that they have one chance to get it right when deciding on where to educate their children. And we have a school board that is tone deaf to what these parents are saying and how the residents feel. We have a Superintendent who is very adept at smiling, telling jokes, and fooling so many of our people into thinking that he is doing a good job! I think our people want a forensic audit and financial accounting so they could get comfortable with our financial picture. As it is, this administration refuses to do that and everyone is just waiting for the next “shoe” to drop. This school board has been tone deaf to new ideas, such as that Druid Hills Charter proposal. It has refused to listen to our teachers and seek to settle that TSA suit. It has refused to address classroom sizes or to insist on restructuring the administration to place greater emphasis on the classroom. Has Thurmond been back to Dunwoody to provide them feedback on their questions? Has anyone? I was disappointed when the Governor stopped at simply removing the former school board – I had hoped that the State School Board would have placed Dekalb under its supervision. I think that all of us had such high hopes for the appointed school board only to have those high hopes ripped out from under us by its performance. In short, it is more of the “samo samo”! But I see the emerging collapse of the current school governance and administration. With a 2/3 majority in both the House and the Senate and a Republican Governor, I think that the odds are better than even that we will see that Constitutional Amendment on the ballot this year. If that passes and Brookhaven, Dunwoody, and Lakeside form their own school systems, Dekalb will face at least a 50% loss in tax revenues. On the one hand, the school board will be limited in the extent to which it can increase taxes (1%) on the one hand and the draconian cuts that it would have to undertake in order to balance its budget on the other. That would not bode well for our students, teachers, or parents. By default, the current school administration and school governance will lose much of its power and lose the financial flexibility so essential to maintaining their present grip on power.

18. concernedmome30329 says:

I want to clarify something that urkosm said, the cityhood movement in N. Fulton wasn’t related to schools. It was related to taxes, governance, representation, etc. The Milton County movement is sort of related to schools, but keep in mind most schools in N. Fulton are really strong.

Millar is involved in this because he has about 8 or so precincts in the proposed incorporation area. Remember Democrats generally don’t favor cityhood so he was the only choice to carry the bill. It is my understanding that Tucker has no one carrying their bill but I could be wrong.

19. ursokm16 says:

That’s correct concernedmom–there is little resemblance to North Fulton cityhood in Lake-Briar. Lake-Briar is based on much more of a stinging indictment of county govt institutions (and fear) than in Fulton. If DeKalb simply had Fulton’s “scale” problems, there would be little traction in Lake-Briar. You’re correct about Millar’s role–it wasn’t needed in Dunwoody. Lakeside (not Briarcliff) is a traditional Wepublican political “operation”. It has some of the same smell as the campaign agaist Scott Holcombe for House Rep did. It’s ugly business to use the citizenry in this fashion. Those pesky Wepublicans.

20. Stan Jester says:

Dunwoody had a city town hall meeting Thursday night with a few hundred people in attendance. While I’m sure an independent school district is on everybody’s mind here, it never came up at the town hall meeting. The Dunwoody citizens wanted to talk about traffic, fire and police services, sidewalks, etc … I’m sure independent school districts are on everybody’s mind, especially on this blog, but there are valid reasons outside of education to consider cityhood.

21. ursokm16 says:

You’re correct Stan–you make this blog post’s point very well. Keep the two issues separate.

22. One thing about the City of Lakeside – for those coming from out of state – the big question will be, “Where’s the lake?” They will assume that there is a beautiful lake surrounded by parks, trails, homes, etc… Or perhaps something like Chicago with tall buildings on the edge of Lake Michigan. Any community with the word ‘lake’ in it should actually have a lake, wouldn’t you think? That thing in Lakeside is just an oversized pond.

23. Stan Jester says:

There is a lot of overlapping interest in education and cityhood. They are different issues, but cityhood is germane to education here and I appreciate the conversation.

24. Marsha says:

@howdy1942 I share your disappointment (to say the least) in Michael Thurmond. I’ve always found him a highly suspect choice for superintendent, and nothing he has done during his tenure thus far has altered my opinion. Like you, I’d like to see a forensic audit done, but I think it will take a court order or a lawsuit (and with what cause of action?) for that to happen. I’m also appalled at the teacher-retirement debacle. I can’t believe a situation has persisted for the last several years in which not only has the county completely disregarded their contractual obligations, but also denied teachers the opportunity to resume paying into Social Security. If I were a teacher in DeKalb I’d be looking for another job, and once I found one I’d shout my reasons for leaving from the rooftop. One of my daughter’s teachers told me that he makes less now than he made 10 years ago, less than he made when he taught in Florida (which has historically underpaid their teachers). That is a disgrace, and the board should hang their collective heads in shame.

I fear for our students over the next several years. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for a system so large and with so many resources to evaluate all the schools on the basis of what is needed in each feeder system to help children succeed, then find the funding to make that happen. So much of what is discussed on this blog: northside v. southside, city schools, charter schools and systems, parent resource centers (what the heck do they do anyway? I’ve yet to find a concrete explanation), magnet schools (full disclosure, my daughter graduated from a magnet school- DSA-& I’m a big fan), race, class, language barrriers- it’s all important but it”s also a smokescreen that the county uses to hide behind. The administrators and the board fight amongst themselves, and they encourage us all to do the same. I am more and more convinced that the administration’s implacable opposition to true change, true choices and true excellence for our students is at the root of the problems. Yet we as citizens are powerless to remove them. It’s infuriating.

25. howdy1942 says:

Thank you for educating me that Senator Millar does have precincts in Lakeside – that answers my question. You mention Rep. Scott Holcomb – I hurt for him because I sincerely think that he wants to do the right thing. I think that he wants to allow time for emotions to die down and for sensible people to conduct sensible discussions and resolve the differences that are tearing neighbors apart who live on opposite sides of the street.

I also want to give our People the opportunity to elect a new school board in May – completely new – one that will listen to the People and act accordingly. And I also want to plead with Interim-CEO Lee May to get on with eliminating that CEO position and listen to the police concerns of the Lakeside community. I have noted that he had been in attendance at many of the meetings of the Lakeside City Alliance. This will be the first school board election that we have had since being put on probation, the first that we have had since the former school board was removed, and the first since Dr. Atkinson was “fired”. This election ought to bring out a very sizable vote. We’ve been through a lot in the past few years, but two more months is a small price to pay if we can get it right. Besides, we will still have the same options after the school board election.

@Marsha – I have heard the same rumors about the intentions of Clarkston and my message to them is “Don’t try”. I oppose any such annexation by them and I will provide financial support to oppose them, get out and knock on doors to oppose them, and fight them every way that I can. I haven’t been there for years, I don’t go there, and I don’t want them to come here. Now do you really want to know how I really feel?

26. Marsha says:

I think you have me mixed up with someone else. I don’t know anything about the Clarkston annexation issue, or even that there were rumors to that effect. I don’t have a horse in that race; I live in Tucker. I can’t say I’m very surprised. Clarkston has major issues with their schools, and the county has ignored them forever, from what I understand. So much of their community is now made up of refugees from all over the world, trying to build new lives. They need lots of help, but I’m not sure annexation will bring them what they need in terms of tax revenue (which must be the motive). If your neighborhood is in their sights, then I feel for you, but I don’t know that their efforts will have any traction.

Like you, I want to give the people of this county a chance to make their voices heard in the school board election. I would hate to see the county further divided than it already is. I’m absolutely convinced that what is needed is a clean sweep of the administrative office: fewer positions, and new people unconnected to the board or previous administrations to fill the offices left. Having looked over the staff/administrative flow chart (which took way too long to “update”) I can see far too many superfluous positions. I don’t think the problem is “special programs,” although I ‘ll cop to my pro-magnet bias. The problem is that too many people, from all areas of the county, look at the school system as a revenue stream, especially when that revenue stream involves school construction (and down the road, charter school management).

City schools look good on paper, but I know that for my own family, having only our local high school (Tucker) would not have worked for my daughter. She’s smart, but it’s art that animates her, and Tucker had nothing for her-no drama (and no theatre tech), no chorus, and negligible visual arts. Instead of being stuck in her local school she went to DSA, and thrived. She did extraordinarily well there, and now she’s in her first choice college, with scholarships, pursuing a major she would not have been able to dream of at Tucker. I don’t want other kids to lose that opportunity, or the opportunity to have their needs met at other magnet schools, or charter schools. City schools will probably mean those kids are stuck. I find it amusing that some of the same folks who tout “more school choice” want to choke children and parents off from having choices through this headlong rush toward city schools. I admire folks who are shining a light on neglected areas and schools, but I think it would be more productive and powerful if we worked together to effect change that will benefit everyone, and not just our own neck of the woods.

I hope that Druid Hills re-tools their charter-system proposal. The element I found objectionable is their rather obvious desire to not include special-needs kids at the high school. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth regarding the motives of this provision, I’m not sure it’s legal, it’s short-sighted, since some special-needs kids are also gifted, and well, I think it’s tacky.

27. @Marsha: IF Tucker became a city and if Tucker then formed their own school district – do you think they would keep things as they are now or do you suppose perhaps that they would start offering things like chorus, arts and music? That’s kind of the point of this bill – local control over local schools.

28. Ella says:

Marsha I do understand many of your points. They are well made. However, we should have some form of the Arts at all of our schools so more students can benefit. We have a great Arts program at the magnet school I teach. I would like to see up offer more on a local level and stop spending so much on transportation.

My youngest son was gifted and very smart. He went to our local high school and went to college in the move on program to meet his needs. His academic needs were meet at his local high school. I think most kids needs could be meet at our local high schools and the academic performance would improve at many schools if we were not spending so much on bussing our kids all over the county. However, I do believe in parents having choices but with the choice I do believe parents should be responsible for transportation so we have more money for our kids in the classroom.

I am so about making sure all kids get a good education at the local school. However, I also believe in choices but I do believe the transportation should not be the responsibility of the taxpayers.

I would like to know how Tucker could not offer chorus, art, and music. As a parent informed us earlier this year, the students don’t have books, either. What is going on at Tucker? It might have been fine in its day, but things have changed. Where is our money going? We don’t pay teachers, we don’t provide supplies, we allow corruption of the boldest order, we pay no attention to the children, we allow people the likes of Thurmond, Ramoona, Ramsey, MJ, etc., to bring us down.

30. howdy1942 says:

@DSW – you are right! If Tucker were to become a city and if we were to have the opportunity to create our own school system, I would really support that effort. I’m sure that two of the very first priorities would be to revamp Tucker High School and Tucker Middle School. As they stand now, neither reflects the makeup or values of the greater Tucker community. As I’ve cited before, both our daughters graduated from Tucker High School over 20 years ago. One has her PhD from Yale University. One is on the faculty at Wake Forest University and the other at Agnes Scott. So Tucker High School was, at that time, one of the best schools around. Also, as @DSW has cited on numerous occasions, I had hoped that Tucker, Briarcliff, and Lakeside could have simply united to form a City of North Dekalb. It seems to me that if the three proposals proved to be feasible individually, then the combined three would have also proved to be feasible. That would have been a win-win-win. Tucker could have remained the Tucker community and all of us could have united our financial resources to cleaning up our school system, assuming that we had that opportunity.

Regarding Clarkston, I perhaps overstated my case. As @Marsha pointed out, Clarkston made some decisions years ago that appear to be at the heart of its financial issues. I listen to the news regularly and my impression is that crime is a real issue there. Also, my observations is that its property values have declined more substantially than neighboring areas. For those reasons, I believe that they now seek to annex neighboring areas that are assessed at greater values. I would be at a loss to understand what that City could offer us that would even warrant any consideration of voting for it. Whether they choose to have their own school system is of no concern to me because, as it now stands, I would first strongly oppose any of its efforts to annex our area in Tucker.

31. @Ella: Lakeside does have a fantastic arts program. They produce amazing plays, have fine acting skills, wonderful concerts – orchestral and choral, and a fab band. I’ve always said that DSA could easily merge as a magnet programs within a school like Lakeside and all would benefit. Much of Lakeside’s arts programs exist due to the insistence and (financial and volunteer) support of the community. As it was reported in 2010 but never updated although we have requested the information, DSA costs about $11,600 per student and Lakeside costs about $7,800 per student. How nice it could be if those dollars were more evenly distributed so that all schools could enjoy a DeKalb county funded arts program.

32. LHS Soon To Be A SWAMP!

A swamp for that loveable ogre, named Shrek.

Lakeside’s talented Drama Department will be presenting this entertaining (and sure to be sold out) production of Shrek the Musical!

Guess what? Shrek the Musical is an expensive show! In an effort to help raise some much needed funding, we’ve decided to put some of the well known storybook characters up for adoption!

What does this mean?

For a price, You (or your business) can adopt specific characters (kind of like an “adopt-a-highway” program), and in return for your donation, you will receive a framed picture of *yourself with your adopted character (to be taken on a mutually agreeable date), plus a shout-out in that actor’s bio, as well as the knowledge that you or your business have/has helped to provide shelter (or in this case, a set) and clothing (a costume) for your adopted character. We will also place this picture in the lobby of the theater for the run of the show (March 27th-29th). Great exposure for local businesses!

*You may also choose to have your business logo in
    the picture. If you are not in town, we will find a way to photoshop you in!

Characters available for adoption:

Shrek

Princess Fiona

Donkey

Sugar Plum Fairy AND her sidekick Gingybread Man! (two for the price of one)

Pinocchio

The Lovely Dragon

The Three Little Pigs (all three for the price of one)

Three Blind Mice (all three for the price of one)

The Big, Not-So-Bad- Wolf and many more!

Please contact Lisa Bridges for specifics! (Cell 404-788-9639 or Jabdash@aol.com).

Adoptions from *$50 – $150

*$50 includes the shout-out in the adopted actors bio.

33. Miss Management: No, it looks like a T-Rex. Check out http://www.facebook.com/SaveTuckerFromLakesideCity.

34. Members of DeKalb Delegation to Host Town Hall Meeting

ATLANTA – State Representatives Mary Margaret Oliver (D-Decatur), Michele Henson (D-Stone Mountain), and Scott Holcomb (D-Atlanta) will host a town hall meeting on Thursday, February 27, 2014 from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at Hawthorne Elementary School in DeKalb County. The previously scheduled meeting for February 12 was cancelled.
    During this meeting, these representatives will give a legislative update on events that have occurred during the first weeks of session and hear questions from constituents.

WHO: Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver (D-Decatur)
    Rep. Michele Henson (D-Stone Mountain)
    Rep. Scott Holcomb (D-Atlanta)

WHAT: Town Hall Meeting to discuss the ongoing 2014 legislative session of the Georgia General Assembly and hear from constituents

WHEN: Thursday, February 27, 2014
    6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

WHERE: Hawthorne Elementary School
    2535 Caladium Dr.
    Atlanta, GA 30345

35. The new AJC app that predicts a bill’s chance of passing the GA Legislature predicted an 89% chance of the Lakeside bill passing.

36. Elaine Boyer has drafted a letter making it very clear that she does not support the Lakeside effort. She has submitted it to Fran Millar.

37. IMPORTANT UPDATE: LEGISLATIVE HEARING TODAY HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED

The House Governmental Affairs Committee meeting originally scheduled for today has been rescheduled for Thursday, February 27th at 9:00 a.m. The City of Tucker House Bill 677 will be discussed at that time.
    PLEASE LOOK FOR MORE DETAILS AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE

AGAIN THE NEW DATE: FEBRUARY 27 – 9AM

38. TUCKER WILL SHINE TOMORROW!
    WE NEED YOU THERE

We’re looking forward to the House Governmental Affairs Committee tomorrow morning so legislators will get to hear the TRUE story of Tucker, and your support for this amazing community! Tucker is a rare gem – a small community sitting just next door to a bustling big city. In a world where we communicate more and more behind smartphones and computers, the value of a place like Tucker becomes even more precious. Legislators have an opportunity to protect that.

It’s also worth noting that while the Tucker community supports its map that includes long-standing Tucker neighborhoods, businesses and parks, it does not venture into the heart of other communities and prevent their ability to incorporate. Our community shares a love for Tucker’s heritage and a vision for Tucker’s future. The City of Tucker will be built around small town values with prosperous dreams for the next chapter in our long history.

As expected, Sen. Fran Millar’s SB 270 for the City of Lakeside passed in the full Senate today, the last possible day, but not without a long debate on the Senate floor in which many Senators expressed that they did not want to vote on such a controversial bill. The bill now moves to the House.

We hope you’ll join us tomorrow in sharing the positive Tucker story, told by the community, and asking for your opportunity to vote in support of preserving it.

Thursday, Feb. 27 – 9:00 a.m
    House Governmental Affairs Committee
    Coverdell Legislative Office Building (across from the State Capitol)
    Room 506
    18 Capitol Square SW, Atlanta, GA, 30334

39. dekalbschoolwatch says:

So, which of the following is really true? >>>

Friends,

Please join us next week for a fundraiser to support the Lakeside City Alliance at Sprig Restaurant on Lavista Road.

Yesterday, the Georgia State Senate passed SB 270, the bill to create a referendum for a city of Lakeside, by a vote of 32-17. The legislation now moves on to the Georgia House of Representatives for approval, and then the Governor’s desk for his signature.

We are well on our way to giving residents in our community a chance at self-determination. Recently, the AJC gave SB 270 an 89% chance of passing the Legislature.

Be part of history as we gather to support our efforts on Tuesday, March 4 at 6:00 p.m. We hope to see you there.

Best regards,

Mary Kay Woodworth
    Lakeside City Alliance

+++ OR +++

From the Capitol:
    TUCKER’S STORY WAS HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR

Tucker’s story was heard loud and clear today at the House Governmental Affairs Committee. Today we had the chance to share, in a formal legislative hearing, why our community deserves to be a city.

Thank you to everyone who spoke during the hearing, showed up wearing TKR stickers, and met with legislators after the hearing.

This committee wants a fair and just process, so it will also hold hearings for the Briarcliff and Lakeside cityhood movements in the next few weeks. We will let you know when those hearings are scheduled.

We have been assured publicly by members of the House Governmental Affairs Committee that all options are on the table and the normal legislative calendar will not apply.

Keep sharing Tucker’s positive story and stay tuned!

+++

(No news was received about the City of Briarlake.)

40. Read Elaine Boyer’s letter to Fran Millar opposing the formation of the City of Lakeside >>

It is very curious how a powerful group is able to take a chunk of DeKalb, much of which is already considered part of another community (Tucker) and claim it for its own. Only in Georgia can you have such randomness of action.