Parents, teachers, and school district residents are welcome at upcoming meetings to review a proposed move to charter schools.
From the DeKalb County Schools website:
The DeKalb County School District is seeking public input as it seeks to become the largest charter system in the state of Georgia.
District leaders must submit a petition to the Georgia Department of Education seeking charter system status, and officials are asking for public comment on autonomy and flexibility at your school and how that autonomy and flexibility can lead to innovations in how students are taught and how the school is governed.
Five community engagement sessions have been scheduled, and anyone seeking the opportunity to provide input is invited to attend, including parents, teachers, and other community members.
Residents are also encouraged to review information from the Georgia Department of Education concerning charter systems and review some of the petitions from other school systems around the state that are already operating as charter district.
The meetings will be held:
· Region IV Lithonia High School Tuesday, August 26 @ 6:00 PM
· Region II Lakeside High School Wednesday, August 27 @ 6:00 PM
· Region I Dunwoody High School Thursday, August 28 @ 6:00 PM
· Region V Towers High School Tuesday, September 2 @ 6:00 PM
· Region III Stephenson High School Wednesday, September 3 @ 6:00 PM
For more information, contact Trenton Arnold at 678.676.0671 or mail to: Trenton_J_Arnold@fc.dekalb.k12.ga.us